Digest for rec.sport.tennis@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 6 topics

Friday, August 11, 2017

SliceAndDice <vishalkn@gmail.com>: Aug 11 06:40AM -0700

On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 5:34:23 AM UTC-4, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> Rafa taking aim at Federer :)
 
> Yes, he tanked to win the USO :)
 
> Anyway, still believe this tournament is useless for Federer.
 
I don't think Roger is taking it too seriously either. Went to Coldplay concert two nights in a row. Yesterday against Ferrer, looked (and played) like he had just woken up.
Carey <carey_1959@yahoo.com>: Aug 11 06:43AM -0700

On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 6:40:23 AM UTC-7, SliceAndDice wrote:
 
> > Yes, he tanked to win the USO :)
 
> > Anyway, still believe this tournament is useless for Federer.
 
> I don't think Roger is taking it too seriously either. Went to Coldplay concert two nights in a row. Yesterday against Ferrer, looked (and played) like he had just woken up.
 
Agree. I think a pre-Major loss here is in order, a la Mac USO '84, and Nadal before this year's French.
RaspingDrive <raspingdrive@gmail.com>: Aug 11 06:47AM -0700

On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 5:34:23 AM UTC-4, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> Rafa taking aim at Federer :)
 
> Yes, he tanked to win the USO :)
 
> Anyway, still believe this tournament is useless for Federer.
 
These narrow losses are good signs for Nadal, in fact. He will be ready, come USO.
RaspingDrive <raspingdrive@gmail.com>: Aug 11 06:48AM -0700

On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 8:56:42 AM UTC-4, The Iceberg wrote:
> No you don't, you reckon he's going to win it.
 
A significant hurdle is cleared for Federer.
Carey <carey_1959@yahoo.com>: Aug 11 06:51AM -0700

On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 6:47:38 AM UTC-7, RaspingDrive wrote:
 
> > Yes, he tanked to win the USO :)
 
> > Anyway, still believe this tournament is useless for Federer.
 
> These narrow losses are good signs for Nadal, in fact. He will be ready, come USO.
 
Absolutely. Same as Wimby.
SliceAndDice <vishalkn@gmail.com>: Aug 11 06:52AM -0700

On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 9:47:38 AM UTC-4, RaspingDrive wrote:
 
> > Yes, he tanked to win the USO :)
 
> > Anyway, still believe this tournament is useless for Federer.
 
> These narrow losses are good signs for Nadal, in fact. He will be ready, come USO.
 
He called it his worst loss of the year yesterday, Doubt if he is drawing any positives from this one.
RaspingDrive <raspingdrive@gmail.com>: Aug 11 06:56AM -0700

On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 9:51:24 AM UTC-4, Carey wrote:
 
> > > Anyway, still believe this tournament is useless for Federer.
 
> > These narrow losses are good signs for Nadal, in fact. He will be ready, come USO.
 
> Absolutely. Same as Wimby.
 
There weren't narrow losses on grass before Wimby, were they?
PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com>: Aug 11 06:56AM -0700

> These narrow losses are good signs for Nadal, in fact. He will be ready, come USO.
 
Yes, these narrow losses against high ranked players in the finals are really good sign :)
RaspingDrive <raspingdrive@gmail.com>: Aug 11 06:58AM -0700

On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 9:52:56 AM UTC-4, SliceAndDice wrote:
 
> > > Anyway, still believe this tournament is useless for Federer.
 
> > These narrow losses are good signs for Nadal, in fact. He will be ready, come USO.
 
> He called it his worst loss of the year yesterday, Doubt if he is drawing any positives from this one.
 
One doesn't dispense a 15-slam champ's chances away after a narrow loss against someone who had nothing to lose.
PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com>: Aug 11 06:58AM -0700

> These narrow losses are good signs for Nadal, in fact. He will be ready, come USO.
 
Yes, these narrow losses against high ranked players in the finals are really good sign :)
RaspingDrive <raspingdrive@gmail.com>: Aug 11 07:01AM -0700

On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 9:56:53 AM UTC-4, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> > These narrow losses are good signs for Nadal, in fact. He will be ready, come USO.
 
> Yes, these narrow losses against high ranked players in the finals are really good sign :)
 
??
SliceAndDice <vishalkn@gmail.com>: Aug 11 07:05AM -0700

On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 9:58:15 AM UTC-4, RaspingDrive wrote:
 
> > > These narrow losses are good signs for Nadal, in fact. He will be ready, come USO.
 
> > He called it his worst loss of the year yesterday, Doubt if he is drawing any positives from this one.
 
> One doesn't dispense a 15-slam champ's chances away after a narrow loss against someone who had nothing to lose.
 
I am of course not discounting his chances. Just disputing your contention that this loss was somehow a good sign for him. Nadal is a confidence player. The more he bulldozes the opposition, the better his chances are.
PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com>: Aug 11 07:05AM -0700

> ??
 
lol, you are the one saying it's good sign, I don't know how you see such losses in Wimbledon, Canada as good sign.
RaspingDrive <raspingdrive@gmail.com>: Aug 11 07:08AM -0700

On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 10:05:22 AM UTC-4, SliceAndDice wrote:
 
> > > He called it his worst loss of the year yesterday, Doubt if he is drawing any positives from this one.
 
> > One doesn't dispense a 15-slam champ's chances away after a narrow loss against someone who had nothing to lose.
 
> I am of course not discounting his chances. Just disputing your contention that this loss was somehow a good sign for him. Nadal is a confidence player. The more he bulldozes the opposition, the better his chances are.
 
Loss happening at a tuneup is better than at a slam, right? He gets to analyze what caused this loss, which is good for him.
RaspingDrive <raspingdrive@gmail.com>: Aug 11 07:09AM -0700

On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 10:05:26 AM UTC-4, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> > ??
 
> lol, you are the one saying it's good sign, I don't know how you see such losses in Wimbledon, Canada as good sign.
 
What I meant is that he will try to improve.
PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com>: Aug 11 07:11AM -0700

> What I meant is that he will try to improve.
 
Absolutely, they all try to improve.
Manuel aka Xax <xamigax@gmail.com>: Aug 11 06:21AM -0700

Le jeudi 10 août 2017 19:41:17 UTC+2, Whisper a écrit :
 
> > Both guys do look to be on a collision course with their year so far and the way they looked in their opening matches. How long can this revival of a tennis classic fairytale last? I wouldn't mind if Rafa gets one back if Federer goes on and wins the US open. Now imagine if Fed beats Rafa in the final... Rafa will be #1 on Monday but everyone will see Federer as the real #1, having won every masters and slam match this year so far.
 
> Of course Fed is the real No.1 today. Rafa can only have a legit claim
> if he wins USO.
 
+1
 
Why are so many people (even here in France) so frenzy about the race position ?
Legacy wise, Federer has done twice as much as Nadal so far...
 
Since both are past 30 years old, I won't consider either M1000 records : Nole, Rafa & Fed have taken this M1000 chase to never imagined levels quite some years ago.
I wasn't expecting Agassi record to get *that* smashed, *that* quickly, to be honest.
John Liang <jliang70@gmail.com>: Aug 11 06:32AM -0700

On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 11:11:46 PM UTC+10, StephenJ wrote:
 
> ---
> This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
> https://www.avast.com/antivirus
 
The interesting point is do you think he can return to the beast mode ? What chance do you give him to return to that mode ?
PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com>: Aug 11 07:03AM -0700

> It's not useless. It's a hard court, and it's been a few months since
Fed played on one. Montreal is a good way for Fed to ease in to the US
Open series. He'll have zero problem adjusting to faster HCs.
 
It's useless, slow and will drain him and may get him injured.
 
He doesn't need too many HC matches, Cinci is enough, he won Wimb, Halle, AO, Miami, IND Wells.
 
He played only fast courts matches, his game is ready.
SliceAndDice <vishalkn@gmail.com>: Aug 11 06:48AM -0700

Jeez...
 
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2017/08/11/victoria-azarenka-could-miss-upcoming-us-open-custody-battle/
 
Victoria Azarenka is thought to be in danger of missing the upcoming US Open because she is busy fighting a custody battle with Billy McKeague, her ex-boyfriend and the father of her eight-month-old son.
 
Azarenka's son Leo was born in December and accompanied her to Wimbledon, her second tournament after a 12-month absence from the tour, where she called for the scheduling of matches to be more sympathetic to parents with young children.
 
McKeague was also present in London and Azarenka told Telegraph Sport: "I have a nanny but she is not here at the moment, so obviously my boyfriend has been helping out. He loves being a dad and spending time with Leo. It's fun."
 
However it is understood that Azarenka and McKeague broke up shortly after Wimbledon and have spent the last few weeks engaged in a legal custody case in California, where she has a home. The American website TMZ has reported that Azarenka has been told she cannot take Leo out of California until the case is resolved.
 
Azarenka – whose representatives declined to respond to messages yesterday - had been entered into the Bank of the West Classic in Stanford, California, which was played last week. However she withdrew from the event a fortnight ago, citing a viral illness.
 
She was also due to play Cincinnati next week, having requested a wild card into the main draw (her ranking of No. 203 is not high enough to gain entry), but it would now be a surprise if she attended the event.
 
Azarenka - who is a former world No. 1 and two-time Australian Open champion - is still being quoted as third favourite for the US Open by some bookmakers, behind world No. 1 Karolina Pliskova and the new Wimbledon champion Garbine Muguruza.
 
But the year's final grand slam, which starts on Aug 28, is now just over a fortnight away, and it seems that she has more pressing concerns to address.
RaspingDrive <raspingdrive@gmail.com>: Aug 11 06:39AM -0700

On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 4:50:20 AM UTC-4, MBDunc wrote:
> > if they both have 19 and rafa has that 3rd wimbledon, i'll take rafa.
> > by the narrowest of margin. if not, tough call.
 
> Did whisper give you a specific permission to dismiss his 7543?
 
He gave him permission to assign the differential points to superior H2H + OG, presumably.

> But it was instantly obvious that after Wimb 2017 shocks and silent period smoke clearance the moving of GOAT goalposts again will start (as they did after FO 2009, Wimb 2009, AO 2010 and Wimb 2012)
 
As Federer keeps racking up slams Whisper and co will aspire to be more inventive.
 
 
RaspingDrive <raspingdrive@gmail.com>: Aug 11 06:41AM -0700

On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 9:18:46 AM UTC-4, StephenJ wrote:
> On 8/10/2017 7:42 PM, bob wrote:
 
> Whoever ends up with the most slam wins will be regarded as GOAT by the
> vast majority, regardless of the mix.
 
"Regardless of the mix" --- great stuff.
Carey <carey_1959@yahoo.com>: Aug 11 06:29AM -0700

These guys play different, and it's nice to see. If Shap can continue to play
like that he'll be formidable. He gets around the ball very well.
 
A refreshing change from the safety-first crew.
SliceAndDice <vishalkn@gmail.com>: Aug 11 06:38AM -0700

On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 9:29:08 AM UTC-4, Carey wrote:
> These guys play different, and it's nice to see. If Shap can continue to play
> like that he'll be formidable. He gets around the ball very well.
 
> A refreshing change from the safety-first crew.
 
Hopefully the drought of new talent (with multi-slam winning potential) is over.
Carey <carey_1959@yahoo.com>: Aug 11 06:34AM -0700

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 11:38:28 PM UTC-7, The Iceberg wrote:
 
 
> nah you're wrong, you being a Fedfan and clearly knowing nothing much about tennis other than what some hyped media articles tell you, proves your opinion is worth much less than mine. Fed's volley technique is pretty poor, his timing is out and he's no natural serve/volleyer, the hours and hours and hour of practice with Edberg prove this. His stomp fh volley was always a joke, yep am right there too.
 
 
stomp volley heh
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to rec.sport.tennis+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment