Digest for rec.sport.tennis@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 8 topics

Saturday, August 5, 2017

John Liang <jliang70@gmail.com>: Aug 04 08:19PM -0700

On Saturday, August 5, 2017 at 12:47:02 AM UTC+10, Whisper wrote:
 
> Agassi always played great v Sampras. His problem was Pete targeted him
> as his main rival & always brought out the big guns. 'Pigeon' is for 2
> guys evenly matched, but 1 always losing due to mental issues.
 
That was clearly what Agassi was to Samrpas on the fast surface like USO and Wimbledon. Remember what you said about Agassi a few years ago, the guy managed to eek a single Wimbledon against a choking Ivanisevic, he barely got a 2nd USO against Martin in 5 sets, winning the FO against 99th ranked Medvedev after been down 2 sets.
 
> overall - Fed far more consistent, Rafa better when he brings his A
> game. Fed is more of a pigeon for Rafa than Agassi was for Pete,
> because they were not evenly matched.
 
Rafa's better on clay but not anywhere else. 18 hard court and grass court slam titles compare to 5 pretty much said it all. If the player is only able to bring his A game once in 10 slams then he isn't better.
 
Whisper <beaver999@ozemail.com>: Aug 05 10:21PM +1000

On 5/08/2017 1:12 PM, John Liang wrote:
>> This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
>> http://www.avg.com
 
> 2:1 head to head, 8 titles to 2, 11 finals vs 5 finals.
 
Now post the same categories for Sampras v Hewitt.
 
thanks
Whisper <beaver999@ozemail.com>: Aug 05 10:22PM +1000

On 5/08/2017 1:19 PM, John Liang wrote:
>> game. Fed is more of a pigeon for Rafa than Agassi was for Pete,
>> because they were not evenly matched.
 
> Rafa's better on clay but not anywhere else. 18 hard court and grass court slam titles compare to 5 pretty much said it all. If the player is only able to bring his A game once in 10 slams then he isn't better.
 
 
 
You always said Hewitt had Sampras's number, yet never the same with
Rafa v Fed?
 
Curious contradiction.
 
 
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
Court_1 <olympia0000@yahoo.com>: Aug 05 04:59AM -0700

On Friday, August 4, 2017 at 4:36:01 PM UTC-4, TT wrote:
> include some films the answer is simple: I had not rated them 8 or
> better... as it says in the list description. That was the sole
> qualification to get in.
 
I think you have a good core list. There are probably some important 80s films on your list I still haven't seen and which interest me and I need to see asap:
 
Possession, 9 to 5, Gallipoli, Das Boot, Fitzcaraldo, The Entity, The Year of Living Dangerously, The Name of the Rose, Cinema Paradiso, Dead Ringers, Dangerous Liasons. (I know, I know, some of those films I should have seen already but it's hard to watch everything with life going on and so many other things to do.)
 

 
> Nicely perverted very good film, a 7.
 
> The Princess Bride,
 
> Pretty nice for what it is. 7
 
Ok, so you have most of those films rated fairly highly except for The Fly (I loved both the original and the 80s version.)
 

> seems a bit late for 80s teen romcom as the decade was filled with teen
> films. Maybe this film is mainly North America thing, or perhaps a thing
> for 90s teens?
 
Perhaps that's what it is but even in N.Americn I think things like The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, etc. were more talked about whereas Say Anything was more of a low-key cult favorite.
Court_1 <olympia0000@yahoo.com>: Aug 05 05:09AM -0700

On Friday, August 4, 2017 at 4:50:36 PM UTC-4, grif wrote:
> >> only the beginning. I think it's a mix of War of the Roses and Godfather...
 
> > How long am I supposed to suffer through a movie I dislike? When I was younger I would force myself to read a book or watch a movie I disliked but not any longer.
 
> One day, you will finish Eternal Sunshine and think, "Bloody hell! That rst dude was right about that film! I should have listened to him and finished watching it!"
 
Ha ha. I don't know Grif, you lost me on your love of that film. ;) Did they ever get to the point in that film because I kept on waiting for the point and it didn't come so I gave up.
 

> The only novel that I started reading, but never finished was James Joyce's "Ulysses". I couldn't even finish the ~100 page introduction never mind the main story, but it's been bugging me. I don't want to be a quitter, can't let it beat me ("Get up you son of a bitch 'cause Mickey loves you"). So it's become my personal Everest, something I need to finish before it's too late.
 
I haven't read Ulysses and I'm a big fan of classic novels but for me a classic novel that was like slow torture to get through (in my high school days) was The Old Man and the Sea. Zzzzzzz.
TT <ascii@dprk.kp>: Aug 05 03:19PM +0300

Court_1 kirjoitti 5.8.2017 klo 14:59:
>> qualification to get in.
 
> I think you have a good core list. There are probably some important 80s films on your list I still haven't seen and which interest me and I need to see asap:
 
> Possession, 9 to 5, Gallipoli, Das Boot, Fitzcaraldo, The Entity, The Year of Living Dangerously, The Name of the Rose, Cinema Paradiso, Dead Ringers, Dangerous Liasons. (I know, I know, some of those films I should have seen already but it's hard to watch everything with life going on and so many other things to do.)
 
I'd expect you to like all of those, or at least most. You might hate
'The Entity' though since it's sort of misogynist (which adds to the
effectiveness imo) and a bit of a B movie.
TT <ascii@dprk.kp>: Aug 05 03:22PM +0300

TT kirjoitti 5.8.2017 klo 15:19:
 
> I'd expect you to like all of those, or at least most. You might hate
> 'The Entity' though since it's sort of misogynist (which adds to the
> effectiveness imo) and a bit of a B movie.
 
P.S. I added 'Homicidal (1961)' to my watchlist, might take a while
until I get there though... I have a looooong watchlist...
"rec.sport.tennis" <rec.sport.tennis@googlemail.com>: Aug 05 06:37AM

On Fri, 04 Aug 2017 08:54:20 -0700, Court_1 wrote:
 
> still wants to play these Masters 1000s or some 500 tournaments. Just
> enjoy watching him play while it lasts because these younger players are
> disappointing for various reasons.
 
he's chasing #1 again
kaennorsing <ljubitsis@hotmail.com>: Aug 05 02:48AM -0700

Op donderdag 3 augustus 2017 07:15:43 UTC+2 schreef Patrick Kehoe:
 
> > I agree that it's a questionable decision. Wonder what his reasoning is.
 
> Perhaps the fact he's played a micro slice of events (matches) over the past 4 months (3 April till August 5, what? 13 matches?) He's hardly played. Yes, he's almost 36, but, he must be itching to get playing...
 
> P
 
Yes, playing Montreal ensures enough practice time to tune for the US open hardcourts. It also gives him a chance of coming into the Open as #1, I believe. That would benefit the scheduling, playing on day 1, which has alluded him there for most of this decade. Getting to play on day 1 could help the old fellow on day 14.
kaennorsing <ljubitsis@hotmail.com>: Aug 05 02:53AM -0700

Op donderdag 3 augustus 2017 16:06:21 UTC+2 schreef PeteWasLucky:
> Looking back this year by far, AO was a totally surprised gift to him. He didn't have any letdown even after beating Rafa in Final because his goal had been wimbledon so he continue to focus and make every decision carefully. For the past wimbledon, he was gearing for one year (Becker said) so his edge was big. For this Open, he is the paper favorite but the actual edge is much thinner than wimbledon. Realistically how many would expect a 36 years old player win three slams. Let's see what hapenn.
 
> He didn't confirm Cinci, did he?
 
> My guess he will decide based on the number of matches he will play in Canada.
 
I think he will play Cincy anyway. He wouldn't like not playing competitively for two weeks prior to the US open. If he gets tired he could decide to play even more aggressively, to keep points shorter. Just go all or nothing on every return, like a semi-tank.
TT <ascii@dprk.kp>: Aug 05 01:22PM +0300

kaennorsing kirjoitti 5.8.2017 klo 12:53:
 
>> He didn't confirm Cinci, did he?
 
>> My guess he will decide based on the number of matches he will play in Canada.
 
> I think he will play Cincy anyway. He wouldn't like not playing competitively for two weeks prior to the US open. If he gets tired he could decide to play even more aggressively, to keep points shorter. Just go all or nothing on every return, like a semi-tank.
 
Why the hell would he get tired? The guy rested whole clay season...
*skriptis <skriptis@post.t-com.hr>: Aug 05 12:22PM +0200


>> He didn't confirm Cinci, did he?
 
>> My guess he will decide based on the number of matches he will play in Canada.
 
> I think he will play Cincy anyway. He wouldn't like not playing competitively for two weeks prior to the US open. If he gets tired he could decide to play even more aggressively, to keep points shorter. Just go all or nothing on every return, like a semi-tank.
 
If so I expect him to be fined, just as Tomic was.
--
 
 
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
"rec.sport.tennis" <rec.sport.tennis@googlemail.com>: Aug 05 10:54AM

On Sat, 05 Aug 2017 12:22:24 +0200, *skriptis wrote:
 
>> could decide to play even more aggressively, to keep points shorter.
>> Just go all or nothing on every return, like a semi-tank.
 
> If so I expect him to be fined, just as Tomic was.
 
Tomic got fined because he said he tanked - if he'd kept his mouth shut
he'd have been ok
"rec.sport.tennis" <rec.sport.tennis@googlemail.com>: Aug 05 10:55AM

On Sat, 05 Aug 2017 02:53:04 -0700, kaennorsing wrote:
 
> competitively for two weeks prior to the US open. If he gets tired he
> could decide to play even more aggressively, to keep points shorter.
> Just go all or nothing on every return, like a semi-tank.
 
Roger Federer never tanks - and he never retires
Brian W Lawrence <brian_w_lawrence@msn.com>: Aug 05 08:48AM +0100

On 02/08/2017 19:52, The Iceberg wrote:
 
 
> I like how the fake new BBC actually put total random quotes from Twitter in their news
> articles as if that makes them bonefide - their journos must think people don't know you
> can find every possible opinion on Twitter.
 
All Twitter opinions are bona fide, after all they are just opinions. Or
did you mean they use Tweets from unverified (fake) accounts? If so
examples would be useful.
 
 
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
The Iceberg <iceberg.rules@gmail.com>: Aug 05 02:02AM -0700

On Saturday, 5 August 2017 08:48:14 UTC+1, Brian W Lawrence wrote:
 
> All Twitter opinions are bona fide, after all they are just opinions. Or
> did you mean they use Tweets from unverified (fake) accounts? If so
> examples would be useful.
 
I mean it's beyond dumb to use total random tweets from Twitter and pretend their opinion counts for anything whatsoever, it like writing an article about the science of the 911 collapse and saying "my mate Dave from Wetherspoons reckons it's a conspiracy", basically, so what - but these fake news BBC journos do just that and pretend it matters.
Brian W Lawrence <brian_w_lawrence@msn.com>: Aug 05 10:18AM +0100

On 05/08/2017 10:02, The Iceberg wrote:
>> did you mean they use Tweets from unverified (fake) accounts? If so
>> examples would be useful.
 
> I mean it's beyond dumb to use total random tweets from Twitter and pretend their opinion counts for anything whatsoever, it like writing an article about the science of the 911 collapse and saying "my mate Dave from Wetherspoons reckons it's a conspiracy", basically, so what - but these fake news BBC journos do just that and pretend it matters.
 
When did anyone on the BBC do that? Or did you make it up?
 
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
Brian W Lawrence <brian_w_lawrence@msn.com>: Aug 05 11:41AM +0100

On 01/08/2017 17:37, *skriptis wrote:
 
> Only the Fake News Media and Trump enemies want me to stop using
> Social Media (110 million people). Only way for me to get the
> truth out!
 
Classic Trump Tweets available on amazon in USA.
 

<https://www.amazon.com/Donald-Trump-Classic-Tweets-Toilet/dp/B07258JCS8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501929575&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=classic+trump+tweets&psc=1>
 
 
 
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
jdeluise <jdeluise@gmail.com>: Aug 05 03:22AM

On Sat, 05 Aug 2017 05:57:13 +0300, TT wrote:
 
>> Great words from a great actor!
 
> I'm not so sure that Trump is working for the American people. Besides,
> Trump himself didn't show any respect for Obama did he...
 
Of course not, and now he's going on a 17 day golf excursion.
TT <ascii@dprk.kp>: Aug 05 01:19PM +0300

jdeluise kirjoitti 5.8.2017 klo 6:22:
 
>> I'm not so sure that Trump is working for the American people. Besides,
>> Trump himself didn't show any respect for Obama did he...
 
> Of course not, and now he's going on a 17 day golf excursion.
 
Nothing like a good holiday after learning that he's most unpopular
president ever and that a Grand Jury is looking into his Russia
connections...
 
Maybe his popularity will soar when he announces that he hit 18
hole-in-ones on one round?
*skriptis <skriptis@post.t-com.hr>: Aug 05 12:20PM +0200

>> Great words from a great actor!
 
> I'm not so sure that Trump is working for the American people.
> Besides, Trump himself didn't show any respect for Obama did he...
 
 
Apples/oranges
 
If yours going to be fair, e.g. has Sanders shown respect towards
Hillary during their primaries? Or Rubio to Trump?
 
It's a political contest, they all talk nasty shit about each
others, Trump was a competitor vs Obama and that was it.

 
 
Woods is saying something else, imo he's referring not only to
politicians, but to those, who aren't even running for the
offices, and never will, like reporters, celebrities etc, who
now, post election, are working to bring him down or make his
agenda fails. Exactly what bob said.
 
 
 
 
--
 
 
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
The Iceberg <iceberg.rules@gmail.com>: Aug 05 01:43AM -0700

On Friday, 4 August 2017 08:40:33 UTC+1, *skriptis wrote:
> > 0 out of 10. This kind of shit happens in every country. There is law enforcement to take care of this.
 
> Law enforcement and constitution, yes.
> That'll save them.
 
LOL hilarious, the bit about being non-violent but wanting to enforce Sharia law tops it off!
*skriptis <skriptis@post.t-com.hr>: Aug 05 12:01PM +0200


>> Law enforcement and constitution, yes.
>> That'll save them.
 
> LOL hilarious, the bit about being non-violent but wanting to enforce Sharia law tops it off!
 
Raja made it even funnier "every country has it".
 
Every country has jihadi biker gangs? lol
Not even Saudi Arabia has it in that form.
 
It's a ridiculous mix of western anarchism plus Islamic
radicalism. Or to be precise, jihadist takeover of civil sphere
there.
 
It's like modern version of brown shirts and SA.
 
 
 
 
 
--
 
 
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
The Iceberg <iceberg.rules@gmail.com>: Aug 05 02:16AM -0700

On Friday, 4 August 2017 01:39:39 UTC+1, TT wrote:
> to other Israeli sources than the army?
 
> having said that, I do think there are probably some competitive
> differences between sexes.
 
yeah agree totally + yep there obviously is - men are far more aggressive due to testosterone - chess as is a good indicator as no reason for a woman not to get to world ranked #1 player, but has never happened(best woman was #6 far as I know). They put this down to men being more competitive.
The Iceberg <iceberg.rules@gmail.com>: Aug 05 01:45AM -0700

> But Icey still must be fuming that the government let him into the country ...
 
yeah! am outraged at Muslim immigrant black man wearing union jack as hoodie! lol
 
http://leftfootforward.org/images/2012/08/Mo-Farah-Daily-Mail-front-page.jpg
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to rec.sport.tennis+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment