Digest for rec.sport.tennis@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 8 topics

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Carey <carey_1959@yahoo.com>: Aug 10 07:17PM -0700

1-1 in the third now.
SliceAndDice <vishalkn@gmail.com>: Aug 10 07:19PM -0700

Kid is fearless.
SliceAndDice <vishalkn@gmail.com>: Aug 10 08:07PM -0700

And the kid does it in style!! A star is born
Carey <carey_1959@yahoo.com>: Aug 10 08:07PM -0700

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 7:19:17 PM UTC-7, SliceAndDice wrote:
> Kid is fearless.
 
I'll say. Takes out Raffi 7-4 in a final-set TB.
 
 
heh
Guypers <gapp111@gmail.com>: Aug 10 08:10PM -0700

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 11:07:59 PM UTC-4, Carey wrote:
> > Kid is fearless.
 
> I'll say. Takes out Raffi 7-4 in a final-set TB.
 
> heh
 
Hahahahahahahahahaha
SliceAndDice <vishalkn@gmail.com>: Aug 10 08:11PM -0700

The scary thing is that Shap's game is still raw..huge upside.
 
The scarier thing is Shap's Canadian teammate Felix Auger may be even more talented.
 
Golden age imminent for Canadian men's tennis?
ed scheuert <bescheuertekuh@gmail.com>: Aug 10 08:11PM -0700

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 10:07:59 PM UTC-5, Carey wrote:
> > Kid is fearless.
 
> I'll say. Takes out Raffi 7-4 in a final-set TB.
 
> heh
 
After being down 3-0 in the TB. Not a bad run for the youngster.
SliceAndDice <vishalkn@gmail.com>: Aug 10 07:18PM -0700

Just taken Nadal to a third with some lights out tennis.
SliceAndDice <vishalkn@gmail.com>: Aug 10 07:40PM -0700

You seem to be implying that he directed the ball at the umpire willfully (correct me if I am wrong) which, if you have information that I do not, is a much more serious offense and should have cost him more than a match default. I think he struck the ball in anger caused by losing his serve and horribly misdirected it.
SliceAndDice <vishalkn@gmail.com>: Aug 10 08:06PM -0700

I believe Canada is all set to enter a golden age in tennis. The other kid Auger-Aliassime may be even more talented than Shap.
Court_1 <olympia0000@yahoo.com>: Aug 10 08:10PM -0700

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 11:06:43 PM UTC-4, SliceAndDice wrote:
> I believe Canada is all set to enter a golden age in tennis. The other kid Auger-Aliassime may be even more talented than Shap.
 
Shap is fabulous. He's got the full package--talent, belief and motivation!
bob <bob@nospam.net>: Aug 10 08:03PM -0400

On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 16:28:17 -0700 (PDT), AZ <arnab.zaheen@gmail.com>
wrote:
 
>> As much as I root for Federer when he plays Nadal and some long awaited revenge has been nice to watch, I don't want to see any lopsided rivalries between all time great players. Federer appears to have Nadal's number off clay but I doubt Federer will beat Nadal the next 10 times in a row(if Nadal can make it to Federer in the first place) because I think Nadal's too good to let that happen. Remember the AO 2017 final was down to the wire.
 
>> Watching close finals between the two is more preferable to watching beatdowns either way for me. I want to see the battle between them and the element of surprise to be in play. It's much more satisfying that way IMO.
 
>Disagree. I am a Fed fan and I want him to beat Nadal over and over again. Prefererably not close matches. I had no problem Fed wiping the floor with Hewitt and Roddick. Same with Nadal. I am not a "close battle" fan just for the sake of it. If some of the matches are close, or all of them, or none of them, I don't care. All I care is that Fed beats him 10 in a row from here on. That's the ideal scenario for me. H2h in favor of Fed, overall.
 
you better be hopeful that rafa doesn't turn it around and win the
next 5. very well could happen.
 
bob
Carey <carey_1959@yahoo.com>: Aug 10 05:27PM -0700

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 5:03:50 PM UTC-7, bob wrote:
 
> you better be hopeful that rafa doesn't turn it around and win the
> next 5. very well could happen.
 
> bob
 
 
Yep. Father Time won't be denied.
Court_1 <olympia0000@yahoo.com>: Aug 10 08:09PM -0700

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 7:28:19 PM UTC-4, AZ wrote:
> > As much as I root for Federer when he plays Nadal and some long awaited revenge has been nice to watch, I don't want to see any lopsided rivalries between all time great players. Federer appears to have Nadal's number off clay but I doubt Federer will beat Nadal the next 10 times in a row(if Nadal can make it to Federer in the first place) because I think Nadal's too good to let that happen. Remember the AO 2017 final was down to the wire.
 
> > Watching close finals between the two is more preferable to watching beatdowns either way for me. I want to see the battle between them and the element of surprise to be in play. It's much more satisfying that way IMO.
 
> Disagree. I am a Fed fan and I want him to beat Nadal over and over again. Prefererably not close matches. I had no problem Fed wiping the floor with Hewitt and Roddick. Same with Nadal. I am not a "close battle" fan just for the sake of it. If some of the matches are close, or all of them, or none of them, I don't care. All I care is that Fed beats him 10 in a row from here on. That's the ideal scenario for me. H2h in favor of Fed, overall.
 
Well don't worry because Nadal can't reach Federer, lol! Shapovalov is a STAR!
Gerrit 't Hart <sad@for.you>: Aug 11 10:22AM +0800

On 11/08/2017 7:37 AM, bob wrote:
>> strike. What would that lead to...
>> Kim is unlikely to commit mass suicide doing first strike. How about Trump?
 
> bob
 
I seem to recall (I was in High School at the time) that there was a
time when Russia was building missile bases in Cuba that the USA
President at the time (a certain JF Kennedy) that the president
threatened nuclear war with Russia if they did not remove the missiles.
The world held its collective breath and eventually Russia backed down.
John F Kennedy was (and still is - at least by the Democrats) hailed a
national hero.
Now we have a Republican (and I use the tern advisedly) president doing
almost the same to North Korea (which has actually threatened to attack
US territory) and he gets howled down.
Where is the consistency?
bob <bob@nospam.net>: Aug 10 07:56PM -0400

On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 00:11:29 +1000, Whisper <beaver999@ozemail.com>
wrote:
 
>- Rafa dominated a slam & a surface for more comprehensively than Fed
>- Rafa dominated Fed h2h
>- Rafa is the only man to win at least 1 slam 10 years in row
 
there are definitely a lot of stats that if slanted either toward fed
or rafa, could make either the goat (assuming 19 slams each).
 
i also said when it was 17-14, had rafa won that AO making it 17-15
while increasing the H2H, with FO coming up making it 17-16, i could
then pronounce rafa GOAT in my book.
 
what has changed is fed won 2 more slams, 1 of them being king of
wimbledon, 1 through nadal, and increased his lead by 1.
 
though there are stats favoring both, i think wimbledon is too
important to come up with only 2 - even if other stats like winning
H2H and variety of surfaces favor rafa substantially.
 
if howeve rafa gets that 3rd wimbledon, and catches fed in count,
he'll be my GOAT. til then, i think his chance is <10%.
 
bob
bob <bob@nospam.net>: Aug 10 07:57PM -0400

On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 02:27:40 +1000, Whisper <beaver999@ozemail.com>
wrote:
 
>you accumulated most points in that tennis season.
 
>> 3) Zero YEC titles.
 
>I'd rather win 1 Olympic gold than 6 YEC's.
 
i believe fed would too.
 
bob
bob <bob@nospam.net>: Aug 10 08:01PM -0400

On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 22:37:26 -0700 (PDT), RaspingDrive
>> problems. say a guy has most slams and 0 wimbledons? he cannot be GOAT
>> in my book.
 
>When someone is in the reckoning for goat, the player will be expected to have slams on all surfaces (CGS), especially the prestigious W. In the absence of such a feat the player will have to give way to others who have the credentials. Since all the goat contenders have multiple W wins, based on empirical evidence, your scenario appears unlikely.
 
so a many with 5 wim, 5 USO, 5 FO, 0 AO is less than a man with 1 of
each in your book? nah.
 
 
>> 1 more wimbledon, and even with 5 less wimbledons than fed he'll be
>> GOAT to me with 19.
 
>Federer has only one FO win.
 
i know. and only cause rafa had a bad year or was hurt and lost to
soderling. we know. but he did make about 5 finals? so he's no clay
fluke.
 
believe me, i would be the last person to take fed's side if i could
debunk him in any way possible. but since carey called me disingenuous
last month, i have to stay true to my beliefs that fed's 8th wimbledon
and 19 slams (the last 2 with murray, djok and rafa all on tour -
albeit in bad form) puts him in the catbird seat unfortunately.
 
if rafa can get 1 more F'ing Wimbledon, and close that gap i can start
rambling and making enemies, but til then i just can't see it. fed's
flaws are smaller than rafa's.
 
bob
stephenJ <sjaros3@cox.net>: Aug 10 07:09PM -0500

On 8/10/2017 6:57 PM, bob wrote:
 
>>> 3) Zero YEC titles.
 
>> I'd rather win 1 Olympic gold than 6 YEC's.
 
> i believe fed would too.
 
YEC is a nice title but correct, nothing like an Olympic Gold (which Fed
has, btw).
 
But it is about as valuable as year-end #1, meaning not very.
 
 
 
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
stephenJ <sjaros3@cox.net>: Aug 10 07:12PM -0500

On 8/10/2017 7:01 PM, bob wrote:
 
> if rafa can get 1 more F'ing Wimbledon, and close that gap i can start
> rambling and making enemies, but til then i just can't see it. fed's
> flaws are smaller than rafa's.
 
We all have our biases, but truth is, if Fed and Rafa end up with 19
slams, neither will be consensus GOAT, they will be co-GOATS to the
great bulk of people out there. Only partisans will claim one or the other.
 
For Rafa, it's pretty clear: To retire as undisputed GOAT, he has to win
at least 20 slams. Nothing else will do it.
 
 
 
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
bob <bob@nospam.net>: Aug 10 08:42PM -0400


>We all have our biases, but truth is, if Fed and Rafa end up with 19
>slams, neither will be consensus GOAT, they will be co-GOATS to the
>great bulk of people out there. Only partisans will claim one or the other.
 
if they both have 19 and rafa has that 3rd wimbledon, i'll take rafa.
by the narrowest of margin. if not, tough call.
 
>For Rafa, it's pretty clear: To retire as undisputed GOAT, he has to win
>at least 20 slams. Nothing else will do it.
 
maybe but i think he'd be more than happy with 19.
 
bob
stephenJ <sjaros3@cox.net>: Aug 10 07:08PM -0500

On 8/10/2017 6:49 PM, bob wrote:
> to say "F You to trump." hahah.
 
> i swear if he was a tennis player, you'd have the opponent talking to
> himself before, during and after the match.
 
Yes, it is amazing and hilarious. Trump's enemies don't realize what the
GOP primary candidates failed to realize - Trump feeds on their negative
energy. The more they think they are "debunking" him, exposing his
"lies", crowing over his defeats, etc. the stronger he gets while the
loonier they get. It's like throwing gasoline on a fire.
 
 
 
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
bob <bob@nospam.net>: Aug 10 08:39PM -0400

>energy. The more they think they are "debunking" him, exposing his
>"lies", crowing over his defeats, etc. the stronger he gets while the
>loonier they get. It's like throwing gasoline on a fire.
 
it's a bad analogy, but i remember watching LSU play the Gators once
with miles coaching the tigers, meyer the gators. miles went for
something like 5 4th downs in the 2nd half and made all 5, won the
game on a late 4th down conversion. meyer wanted to say something
like, "hey, you can't do that!"
 
just like trump, they want to say, "hey, you can't do that!" and there
he goes again...
 
bob
stephenJ <sjaros3@cox.net>: Aug 10 04:31PM -0500

In recognition of its 25th anniversary, Warner Brothers was nice enough
to release this excellent meditation on loss, regret, and anger that
won't go away. I recall seeing it in the theater in 1992, and though
I've owned Unforgiven on tape, laserdisc, and DVD since then, it was a
pleasure to see it once again on the big screen, in all its panoramic
glory. It was poignant as well. In 1992, it was funny seeing 61 year old
Clint, the action hero of our youth, fall off his horse as the first
signs of old age were settling in. After the film, they aired an
interview with the 87 year old Eastwood, and he's still tougher than nails.
 
A- in 1992, A- now.
 
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
The Iceberg <iceberg.rules@gmail.com>: Aug 10 02:21PM -0700

On Wednesday, 9 August 2017 22:36:30 UTC+1, TT wrote:
 
> Besides, things are better handled with treaties than wars. Iran would
> be a prime example, a treaty which Trump has tried to fuck up to best of
> his ability.
 
Obama sent Iran that stuxnet virus, cyber wars were his main tactic.
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to rec.sport.tennis+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment