Digest for rec.sport.football.college@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 9 topics

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Some dued <theodoreward@gmail.com>: Jul 16 10:33AM -0700

It rightfully slams the NRA but not gun owners.
 
http://www.thedailybeast.com/the-nra-has-entered-the-province-of-cowards
"the_andrew_smith@yahoo.com" <agavinsmith@gmail.com>: Jul 16 10:18AM -0700

Dumnbass was already taken.
 
https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/34521/
Some dued <theodoreward@gmail.com>: Jul 15 11:33PM -0700

Why do you need a TV and leather couch at work?
irishranger317@gmail.com: Jul 16 05:19AM -0700

On Saturday, July 15, 2017 at 12:22:03 PM UTC-4, xyzzy wrote:
 
> 1. An aging workspace where you have your own office or cube or
> 2. A bright shiny new open landscape workspace
 
> My choice is definitely 1.
 
How about working from home?
 
Irish Mike
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jul 16 01:11PM

On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 17:25:42 -0700 (PDT), JGibson
 
>I prefer my office. Door is open if you need to come in. But I often have conference calls with vendors, customers, or international collaborators. Don't think I want to be taking those calls from the open environment.
 
Predadgumcisely.
 
Hugh
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jul 16 01:16PM

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 05:19:55 -0700 (PDT), irishranger317@gmail.com
wrote:
 
>How about working from home?
 
>Irish Mike
 
That doesn't work when your job is managing people.
 
Hugh
 
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
michael anderson <mianderson79@gmail.com>: Jul 16 06:55AM -0700

On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 1:33:27 AM UTC-5, Some dued wrote:
> Why do you need a TV and leather couch at work?
 
why not? It's nice....
"the_andrew_smith@yahoo.com" <agavinsmith@gmail.com>: Jul 16 09:54AM -0700

I've managed entire organizations working from home.
 
I prefer it that way.
 
My office has all the comforts of home or a hotel or the admirals club or the car or the pool or the beach. I spend >50% of my time on the phone. I can do that anywhere.
plaidmoon@gmail.com: Jul 15 10:16PM -0700

She told CNN she suffers from chronic anxiety, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder. And every now and then, she needs to take some time to focus on her well-being.
 
"I had experienced several nights of insomnia and was poorly rested and also having lots of suicidal thoughts, which make it difficult to accomplish much at work," she said.
 
Seems like a valid reason to take a few days off. I wouldn't be too bothered if they had her use vacation time instead of leave. It would depend on what kind of employee she was and what her sick leave record was. I know I'd have a hard time dealing with it if I said no and she went home and hanged herself.
 
I'd expect a psychiatric doctor to have some empathy, but it's you, so I'm not surprised.
irishranger317@gmail.com: Jul 16 05:24AM -0700

> She told CNN she suffers from chronic anxiety, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder. And every now and then, she needs to take some time to focus on her well-being.
 
> "I had experienced several nights of insomnia and was poorly rested and also having lots of suicidal thoughts, which make it difficult to accomplish much at work," she said.
 
> Seems like a valid reason to take a few days off.
 
Seems like a valid reason to give her a mandatory referral to a mental health professional.
 
Irish Mike
"Con Reeder, unhyphenated American" <constance@duxmail.com>: Jul 16 08:01AM -0500

> said no and she went home and hanged herself.
 
> I'd expect a psychiatric doctor to have some empathy, but it's you,
> so I'm not surprised.
 
One of the problems with empathy in this area is that so many
people have used this cynically when they had no need. It is also
true that many people work through hard times and times of no sleep,
and have little sympathy with people "tapping out" in a similar situation.
I do know that bad depression is very bad, and that most people don't
suffer deep levels of clinical depression, but it is difficult to
sympathize having gone through some of those same things myself.
 
It's kind of like what happens when I attempt to help people with
computers. They have had their hands on them a lot, and viscerally
they think they know what they are doing and they'll push back on my
suggested procedure for finding their problem, which, if followed,
would succeed. When you've had some experience with something, you
think you know what you are talking about even though you don't.
 
Another example is service dogs. It's amazing how many people game
that now that it is possible. At least 80% of them have no need or
simply don't use the dog in that way. "Emotional Support Dog" my ass.`
Of course I am scorning the one on 20 people who actually need them.
But I'll run that risk.
 
--
Making the simple complex, that is easy -- anyone can do that.
But to make the complex simple, awesomely simple, that is
true creativity. -- Charles Mingus
unclejr <watsona64@gmail.com>: Jul 16 06:35AM -0700

On Saturday, July 15, 2017 at 10:52:38 PM UTC-5, michael anderson wrote:
 
> WTF?
 
> I dont really employ people(as part of a side venture me and 3 other people have a few part time people) so maybe Im not one to talk, but if I had regular employees and they told me they were taking a 'mental health day' then they'd be dismissed that very moment.
 
> Amazing...
 
Here fishy fishy fishy...
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jul 16 01:36PM


>Seems like a valid reason to take a few days off.
 
Seems like a valid reason to replace her.
 
In 33 years I never had a sick day - one of the other two involved
surgery and one was for a 1 hour doctor appointment that should not
have been a sick day.
 
Liberal is unhealthy.
 
Hugh
 
 
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
GrtArtiste <nineorbs@yahoo.com>: Jul 16 10:06AM -0400

On 7/15/2017 11:52 PM, michael anderson wrote:
 
> WTF?
 
> I dont really employ people(as part of a side venture me and 3 other people have a few part time people) so maybe Im not one to talk, but if I had regular employees and they told me they were taking a 'mental health day' then they'd be dismissed that very moment.
 
> Amazing...
 
It's real easy to brag about what you "would" do "if" that happens, but
I'll bet when it does happen you'll be whistling a different tune.
 
I wouldn't be stupid enough to say "mental health day" out loud,
although I have used "doctor appointment" and "funeral for a friend"
without serious repercussions. However, the bosses usually expect me to
make up the hours that I miss and get bitchy if I don't. Fuck 'em. When
the unACA took effect our available hours were reduced by more than 25%.
They lost a lot of good people who just couldn't eat that much of a pay
cut. We never did have paid vacation or holidays. Now we get 20 hours
PTO every 6 months (it used to be 30).
 
They also took away a company-funded legacy pension plan and gave us the
option to either let the existing plan continue with no further
contributions or to convert it into some vague kind of investment
wherein the company would match any employee contributions. That didn't
last long, and I know of one employee who did convert and ended up
losing every dime she had (probably about $14K because I had $10K at the
time and she had been there longer). Fortunately, I did not convert and
was able to pull my money out when I got laid off in 2014, but I had to
use it to pay bills because I was laid off so the money disappeared
anyway. I accepted a rehire because I had no better choices and because
it enables me to work from home and I'm able to provide supervision/care
as needed for a family member who resides here.
 
GrtArtiste
michael anderson <mianderson79@gmail.com>: Jul 16 08:01AM -0700

On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 8:01:19 AM UTC-5, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:
> people have used this cynically when they had no need. It is also
> true that many people work through hard times and times of no sleep,
> and have little sympathy with people "tapping out" in a similar situation.
 
Absolutely. If you're anxious or tired or down, you still get your ass to work.
 
I think(no i know) things have tilted way too much in the direction of the worker in this country. Mandatory overtime and all these other protections have just made things ridiculous....
Some dued <theodoreward@gmail.com>: Jul 16 09:06AM -0700

If you have depression a mental health day or month will do nothing to remedy the problem.
"the_andrew_smith@yahoo.com" <agavinsmith@gmail.com>: Jul 16 09:47AM -0700

LOL. those are called sick days
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jul 16 01:27PM

On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 21:40:17 GMT, Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh
Sullivan) wrote:
 
>whatever it takes.
 
>Hugh
 
Thinking g more about ways to abort Obamacare...
 
The threat of repealing has caused rates to rise more than they would
have. I suggest threatening to eliminate the requirement to have
insurance AND suggest payers to be very slow paying the subsidies.
Threats appear to work better than actually doing something.
 
Given some time I might be able to think of more threats that would
make the rates rise beyond the ability of almost everyone to pay.
 
Repeal and replace ain't gonna work - never thought it would. But
threats apparently work very well.
 
Hugh
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
"wolfie" <bgbdwolf@gte.net>: Jul 16 11:41AM -0400

"J. Hugh Sullivan" wrote
 
> have.
 
> I suggest threatening to eliminate the requirement to have
> insurance
 
Already done. And rates are going up because of it.
 
> AND suggest payers to be very slow paying the subsidies.
 
Since they've already threatened to not pay them at all, having
them paid slower doesn't seem to be much of a threat.
 
> Given some time I might be able to think of more threats that would
> make the rates rise beyond the ability of almost everyone to pay.
 
Subsidies are based on the cost of insurance in the market. So,
if you raise prices, you just raise the subsidies to match.
 
The only people you really piss off are people in the individual
market because they're self-employed or working for a company
which doesn't provide health insurance and making enough not
to get a subsidy. There's another term for them: voters.
 
But, yeah, good plan: get the GOP to purposely piss off voters.
michael anderson <mianderson79@gmail.com>: Jul 16 08:03AM -0700

On Friday, July 14, 2017 at 10:36:50 PM UTC-5, unclejr wrote:
> > Ice flakes off.
> > We call these flakes icebergs.
 
> The subject header says, "Antartic." WTF is that?
 
when someone else misspells something or makes an error in grammar, Press ridicules them for it in a snarky way. When he does, well......
Ken Olson <kolson@freedomnet.org>: Jul 16 01:02AM -0400

On 7/15/2017 7:56 PM, Michael Press wrote:
 
> No, but understand that buying quality, buying food in bulk,
> cooking ones own food and steady saving and investing will
> take you from zero to comfortable, if not set for life.
 
There's a guy from Texas that runs a company that rebuilds diesel
engines for semi-tractors. He gets some Englishmen to invest in his
company and they come over to check-out the operation. They are all
wearing suits. They go into the building and see a guy wearing a
flannel shirt, bluejeans, and work boots. Figuring that he's the
janitor, they ask him where they could find the company president. He
tells them that they've found him. They remark that with the size of
the company they thought the company's president would be attired
similarly to them.
 
He told them that he preferred to spend a lot of time in the shop,
getting to know them as people and listen to what they think about what
they do and if they can think of improvements to the process. As far as
his choice of attire, he said, "In Texas, we say that somebody that puts
on a lot of flash, but doesn't have much to show for it has a big hat
and no cattle. I wear a small hat, but I've got a lot of cattle."
 
At least that's how I remember the story. It's been a while since I've
read it.
 
Ken
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jul 16 12:38PM

On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 19:00:08 -0700 (PDT), irishranger317@gmail.com
wrote:
 
 
>I'm a Yankee who has lived in the South. And when you live in the South you
>learn one thing about that "Southern Hospitality". It's a mile wide and an inch deep.
 
>Irish Mike
 
That's an unusual amout of courtesy to be shown a yankee.
 
Hugh
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jul 16 01:08PM

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 01:02:23 -0400, Ken Olson <kolson@freedomnet.org>
wrote:
 
 
>tells them that they've found him. They remark that with the size of
>the company they thought the company's president would be attired
>similarly to them.
 
Times have changed - even in my lifetime.
 
I wore a tie and suit, or nice coat, to work every working day for 35
years. That was not my preference but it gave you status around town.
I enjoyed the differentiation.
 
Our second son is partner and CFO of his company and I doubt that he
ever wore a tie to work. But shirt, pants and shoes - each probably
cost more than any suit I ever had since I never had to pay as much as
$100 except for the last one I bought.
 
It's often a mistake to judge a person by the clothes he wears - but
I'll make that mistake every time until I'm proven wrong.
 
I dress like a bum around the house - but I AM a bum around the house.
 
Hugh
 
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net>: Jul 16 05:00AM -0700

Just had a look outside at Venus. It is as bright as it ever gets.
Can easily see the phase too.
 
--
Michael Press
jim brown <jimbrowndoc@yahoo.com>: Jul 15 09:52PM -0700

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 12:46:07 PM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
> years at my employer today
 
Congrats, and lots of companies wish they could find such devoted employees.
 
 
I'm at 21 years of self-employment. I'm pretty sure I could go back if I had to, but would more likely find another self employment opportunity first.
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to rec.sport.football.college+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment