Digest for rec.sport.tennis@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 9 topics

Monday, July 10, 2017

Brian W Lawrence <brian_w_lawrence@msn.com>: Jul 11 06:58AM +0100

On 10/07/2017 16:23, Brian W Lawrence wrote:
 
 
> 0 Kuznetsova, Vandeweghe, Halep
> 1 Muguruza, Williams
> 2 Rybáriková, Konta, Ostapenko
 
Only 6 of last 8 in MS known:
 
Sets Games
W/L W/L %age
=== ====== =====
[1] A Murray 12/1 (13) 78/42 (120) 65.0%
[3] R Federer 10/0 (10) 65/38 (103) 63.1%
[7] M Čilić 12/0 (12) 75/44 (119) 63.0%
[11] T Berdych 12/4 (16) 91/68 (159) 57.2%
[16] G Muller 14/4 (18) 105/86 (191) 55.0%
[6] M Raonic 12/3 (15) 91/74 (165) 55.2%
<12> S Querrey [24] 14/5 (19) 96/80 (176) 54.5%
 
The remaining 4th round match is due on Centre Court at 12:00
today - most likely under the roof. Rain is forecast for most
of today, but rest of week should be dry.
 
Mannarino & Djokovic after R3:
 
<15> A Mannarino 8/5 (13) 77/58 (135) 57.0%
[2] N Djokovic 7/0 (7) 45/19 (64) 70.3%
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
Patrick Kehoe <pkehoe@telus.net>: Jul 10 10:48PM -0700

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 12:18:43 AM UTC-7, TT wrote:
> > Nole: Showing signs of 'working' to stay calm (and still randomly losing his cool at times, even when he's well ahead), he's serving well... a few commentators are waiting to see how he reacts to being under the gun and being challenged... will the old Nole surface? He looks like he has a chip on his shoulder though
 
> Well he's carrying on his shoulders high hopes and aspirations of entire
> nation - Monaco.
 
:)))))))
 
Good one...
 
P
Patrick Kehoe <pkehoe@telus.net>: Jul 10 10:42PM -0700

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 4:58:04 PM UTC-7, Court_1 wrote:
> Querrey looks like he fell out of the fictional town of Mayberry from the Andy Griffith Show! Aw shucks!
 
And Aunt Bea sprinkled a home remedy on him that "made him grow'd so much, yes indeedie, I hardly recognize the boy!"
 
:)

P
Patrick Kehoe <pkehoe@telus.net>: Jul 10 10:34PM -0700

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 2:32:30 PM UTC-7, kaennorsing wrote:
> > out of the water... Dimitrov is not a mentally strong player and I
> > suspect he'll probably beat himself, maybe he'll even retire! :)
 
> Close enough. Fed didn't really blow him out of the water perhaps, but certainly outclassed him. Dimitrov let himself down again on the big points, although Fed was very solid today and did a great job neutralizing a lot of Dimi's serves. Grigor's shot-selection under pressure is still quite poor (in contrast to Federer). His shotmaking otoh was impressive though. More so than Fed's, who looks to have another gear in store for the coming week.
 
I agree. Fed looking like his first week flutters are being channelled into all out Fed-Fight. He wants that 8th Wimbledon and the distinction that goes with it. I also thought his level has clearly lifted from 1st week. And he's saved a lot of energy for the last 3 potential contests. And Nole has to go back to back, making the effort Mannorini gives unexpectedly important.
 
P
Patrick Kehoe <pkehoe@telus.net>: Jul 10 10:36PM -0700

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 10:34:36 PM UTC-7, Patrick Kehoe wrote:
 
> > Close enough. Fed didn't really blow him out of the water perhaps, but certainly outclassed him. Dimitrov let himself down again on the big points, although Fed was very solid today and did a great job neutralizing a lot of Dimi's serves. Grigor's shot-selection under pressure is still quite poor (in contrast to Federer). His shotmaking otoh was impressive though. More so than Fed's, who looks to have another gear in store for the coming week.
 
> I agree. Fed looking like his first week flutters are being channelled into all out Fed-Fight. He wants that 8th Wimbledon and the distinction that goes with it. I also thought his level has clearly lifted from 1st week. And he's saved a lot of energy for the last 3 potential contests. And Nole has to go back to back, making the effort Mannorini gives unexpectedly important.
 
> P
 
Mannarino :)
 
P
PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com>: Jul 10 09:29PM -0700

> Fed did not have to do much here besides hold serve efficiently, and wait for Dimi to implode on some of his service games, which he obliged (Double faults really seem to be a problem with the guy!). Dimi played a spectacular game to break in the third set, and got broke back immediately.
 
I get the feeling Fed has a couple of gears that he has not used yet, hope he is able to switch when the need arises.
 
I didn't see the match just saw the highlights and it's clear Dimitrov played today with the strategy to be very aggressive and not to allow Federer to dictate. This made Federer to play balanced game and let Dimi to implode
Patrick Kehoe <pkehoe@telus.net>: Jul 10 10:21PM -0700

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 6:07:38 PM UTC-7, Carey wrote:
> "trying to hold it together", but either that's not accurate
> or Fed has suddenly relaxed... he looked very at ease to me,
> in taking out what could have been a dangerous opponent.
 
Ya, Feds was saying he was nervous before each of his first two matches... against Dimi, he looked placid and focused and confident. He looked, to me at least, like second week at Wimbledon Feds. He switched on that imperious frame of mind that often emerges when he's a few matches shy of a major final.
 
He looked so different today. And in a way, if FELT like (who really knows) but he's just not bothered by Dimitrov's game. When Dimitrov plays Feds, he doesn't do to Feds what he almost did to Rafa in Melbourne. He's just 3 levels up using similar games-styles... Feds has mastered it; Dimi looked like a novice out there and not just because it was 'the idol playing his fan boy' either.
 
This matched showed DEFINITIVELY why Roger swats Dimi when they play.
 
1. Fed serve just head and shoulder over Dimi's (even though Dimi has more gas, Feds far more accurate)
 
2. Federer forehand light years more reliable than Dimi's.
 
3. Dimitrov not very bright when it comes to tactics/tennis IQ. He has talent and flash, but, a bit of a brick in the brains department at the elite level of championship tennis.
 
P
lviewchiguy@gmail.com: Jul 10 09:25PM -0700

Best stat I've seen today.
 
Nadal has missed 6 QFs at the last 6 Wimbledons. (Missed one).
 
Federer has missed 8 QFs of the last 54 Majors (Missed three).
soccerfan777 <zepfloyes@gmail.com>: Jul 10 09:26PM -0700

> All his usual supporters are hiding again, whisper, TT, all licking their chops because gap may just be four by the end of this week.... LOL
 
Whisper hates Nadal. He hates Federer a lot more. So he "supports" Nadal to make Federer looks worse. The only players Whisper ever loved are McEnroe and Sampras
lviewchiguy@gmail.com: Jul 10 09:28PM -0700

And Mecir.
"Javier González" <jagonzal@gmail.com>: Jul 10 10:15PM -0700

Not to detail your little Nadal bashing party, but, um, Sampras?
reilloc <reilloc@gmail.com>: Jul 11 12:18AM -0500

On 7/10/2017 11:26 PM, soccerfan777 wrote:
> On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 11:15:43 PM UTC-5, ali...@alinefx.com wrote:
>> All his usual supporters are hiding again, whisper, TT, all licking their chops because gap may just be four by the end of this week.... LOL
 
> Whisper hates Nadal. He hates Federer a lot more. So he "supports" Nadal to make Federer looks worse. The only players Whisper ever loved are McEnroe and Sampras
 
His father--uncle, perhaps; an older male relative, without doubt--would
go on about Hoad. Hoad, this and Hoad, that--enough to make the child
notice and ingrain that worship status of impressionable youth. Later,
McEnroe came along and the movement coupled with the flashes of, yeah,
pure genius put that player in the pantheon near Hoad. Still later,
Sampras, beyond dispute one of the all-time greats took the sport by
storm and the psyche of the boy; but, since then, the game's become too
different for him to understand.
 
Federer, the greatest player ever to pick up a racket, must be denied
because he's tainted by the perceived shortcomings of *now*. It also
doesn't help that he's from some land where they speak so candidly about
their abilities that it's unbecomingly immodest.
 
It's enough to make a man too vain ever actually to own a dog
nevertheless claim he kicked one to death--simply to erect a false flaw
on which others might waste their time condemning him.
 
Then, there's poor Nadal: the most successful bumrooter ever born. Dad
or uncle would hurl his pint at the telly seeing how he produces
groundstrokes but, with respect to the dead, they never had to put up
with worse alternatives and would probably understand.
 
LNC
Gracchus <gracchado@gmail.com>: Jul 10 06:19PM -0700

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 5:11:39 PM UTC-7, DavidW wrote:
 
> > Yet another reason why I love parallel universes.
 
> Good latest episode of Dark Matter with the Raza crew from the alternate
> reality. Tash is back!
 
I love Tash. What a delightful psychopath she is. Sometimes alt-uni stuff is overused in space opera, but they're doing a good job with it on "Dark Matter." Resurrecting the Wexler group this way and integrating them with the alternate Razi crew was a great idea.
ed scheuert <bescheuertekuh@gmail.com>: Jul 10 06:30PM -0700

On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 5:04:26 AM UTC-5, kaennorsing wrote:
 
> > P
 
> Well, he did beat Rafa at Wimbledon 2005. So just after Rafa won his maiden FO title. That should give him the believe he at least can beat Rafa, at Wimbledon in particular. Obviously I'm not getting my hopes high on it though, given Rafa's current level.
 
> I also remember he gave Fed a good test at the USO once. I think that was when Fed won his last USO in 2008. Other than that i think that's about all he did vs the elite guys.
 
Didn't Mueller also beat Roddick 1st round of US Open in 2005 with all the "Roddick's got the Mojo" adds? He's risen to the occasion in Majors before.
joh <joshorst@gmail.com>: Jul 10 09:54PM -0700

Op dinsdag 11 juli 2017 00:43:07 UTC+2 schreef kaennorsing:
 
> > I'd have to see it to believe it: him beating Rafa.
 
> > P
 
> Ok... That's 2 victories over Nadal at Wimbledon now. Both after Rafa just won the FO...
 
It's harder to beat Nadal at Wimbledon after he didn't win the French
 
Doesn't look so bad now, does he? This Muller guy? :)))
Patrick Kehoe <pkehoe@telus.net>: Jul 10 10:07PM -0700

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 3:43:07 PM UTC-7, kaennorsing wrote:
 
> > I'd have to see it to believe it: him beating Rafa.
 
> > P
 
> Ok... That's 2 victories over Nadal at Wimbledon now. Both after Rafa just won the FO... Doesn't look so bad now, does he? This Muller guy? :)))
 
He played amazing well. His concentration was atypical for him and that kept him locked into the match, as you saw. Muller has been a head-hanger, a guy who can get down on himself at vital moments of big matches (at majors) and that's been a pattern for him for over a decade. Then he starts spraying the ball going bigger and bigger on the forehand. NOT today; he had very TIGHT patterns to get into net and his wide out serving was masterful! He's had a great 2017 and means to make the most out of his tennis. So good on him! You could almost see Rafa thinking, "So when is he going to fold?" Didn't happen. He just never lost the plot, never gave into his negative emotions, keeping to his tactical task, while remaining clear minded. As we all saw!
 
P
Patrick Kehoe <pkehoe@telus.net>: Jul 10 10:08PM -0700

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 6:30:48 PM UTC-7, ed scheuert wrote:
 
> > Well, he did beat Rafa at Wimbledon 2005. So just after Rafa won his maiden FO title. That should give him the believe he at least can beat Rafa, at Wimbledon in particular. Obviously I'm not getting my hopes high on it though, given Rafa's current level.
 
> > I also remember he gave Fed a good test at the USO once. I think that was when Fed won his last USO in 2008. Other than that i think that's about all he did vs the elite guys.
 
> Didn't Mueller also beat Roddick 1st round of US Open in 2005 with all the "Roddick's got the Mojo" adds? He's risen to the occasion in Majors before.
 
BUT VERY VERY rarely. This performance was special and follows on a new mental approach he's dedicated to since the late fall of 2016. Good on him...
 
P
joh <joshorst@gmail.com>: Jul 10 10:04PM -0700

Op dinsdag 11 juli 2017 00:34:07 UTC+2 schreef The Iceberg:
 
> > I hope Milos/Djokovic, etc. don't spoil the party! :)
 
> > https://media.giphy.com/media/cegWQ66TiGYDK/giphy.gif
 
> lol shows how low you are that you would prefer your Canadian boy to go out cos of RST! LOL yes, it's super annoying these guys like Muller go out of their way to beat Nadal, yet always totally fold against Fed.
 
That's because Fed is GOAT. Makes it look easy.
SliceAndDice <vishalkn@gmail.com>: Jul 10 09:33PM -0700

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 3:43:24 PM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:
> Ahahahhahhahahhahahhahhahaha!
 
> Everyone who went on about his "French Open form" carrying though to a Wimbledon championship must feel very, very foolish right now. :)))))))))
 
Humbalito is complaining about not getting enough love from the Wimbledon organizers in terms of scheduling. He apparently prefers playing on Center Court.
 
http://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/courting-trouble-nadals-grumpy-gripe-with-federer-treatment/news-story/29686c45d1c44bf7bc5e5507310579b0
joh <joshorst@gmail.com>: Jul 10 09:35PM -0700

Op dinsdag 11 juli 2017 00:51:59 UTC+2 schreef Gracchus:
 
> > > Let's hope I'm not wrong about the Fed winning the title part.
 
> > you don't want Raonic winning it, says it all really.
 
> Why should she want him to win it over Roger? Raonic isn't even a real Canadian.
 
Real Canadians are the ones playing with snow shoes, right?
Gracchus <gracchado@gmail.com>: Jul 10 09:37PM -0700

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 9:33:28 PM UTC-7, SliceAndDice wrote:
 
> > Everyone who went on about his "French Open form" carrying though to a Wimbledon championship must feel very, very foolish right now. :)))))))))
 
> Humbalito is complaining about not getting enough love from the Wimbledon organizers in terms of scheduling. He apparently prefers playing on Center Court.
 
> http://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/courting-trouble-nadals-grumpy-gripe-with-federer-treatment/news-story/29686c45d1c44bf7bc5e5507310579b0
 
What a whining, entitled little fairy. As if the organizers are obligated to put him on Centre Court. He doesn't mind "preferential treatment" so much when he gets 10 more seconds between points than everyone else.
lviewchiguy@gmail.com: Jul 10 09:42PM -0700

Or more benefits in the physical components of the sport in the string technology and slowing down of the court speeds than any other great player ever.
PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com>: Jul 10 09:43PM -0700

> Humbalito is complaining about not getting enough love from the Wimbledon organizers in terms of scheduling. He apparently prefers playing on Center Court.
 
It's all about running the show and making money. People want to see Federer, put him on center court and make money easily.
 
It was amazing seeing the crowds watching Federer entering the court looking at a legend.
SliceAndDice <vishalkn@gmail.com>: Jul 10 09:43PM -0700

On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 12:37:51 AM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:
 
> > Humbalito is complaining about not getting enough love from the Wimbledon organizers in terms of scheduling. He apparently prefers playing on Center Court.
 
> > http://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/courting-trouble-nadals-grumpy-gripe-with-federer-treatment/news-story/29686c45d1c44bf7bc5e5507310579b0
 
> What a whining, entitled little fairy. As if the organizers are obligated to put him on Centre Court. He doesn't mind "preferential treatment" so much when he gets 10 more seconds between points than everyone else.
 
I agree that the Nadal-Muller matchup was more intriguing than Murray-Paire. But when it comes to choosing between a 7-time champion and a 2-time champion and home crowd favorite over someone who has not done very well at Wimbledon for the last 4 years, the former 2 would get preference.
ahonkan <ahonkan@gmail.com>: Jul 10 09:52PM -0700

On Tuesday, 11 July 2017 10:03:28 UTC+5:30, SliceAndDice wrote:
 
> Humbalito is complaining about not getting enough love from the Wimbledon organizers in terms of scheduling. He apparently prefers playing on Center Court.
 
> http://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/courting-trouble-nadals-grumpy-gripe-with-federer-treatment/news-story/29686c45d1c44bf7bc5e5507310579b0
 
For the Brits, the CC hierarchy is quite simple: 1. Any Brit
2. Federer
 
Heck, they put Kylie Edmund, the tennis version of 'Eddie The Eagle'
on Center Court.
 
Rafa hasn't made it to the quarters in the last 5 years so shouldn't
expect to be featured on CC. If Fed gets bumped off Chartrier and is
scheduled on Lenglen at FO, it would be the same thing. Justified.
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to rec.sport.tennis+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment