Digest for rec.sport.tennis@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 8 topics

Sunday, July 9, 2017

TT <ascii@dprk.kp>: Jul 10 01:07AM +0300

Court_1 kirjoitti 9.7.2017 klo 20:44:
> It's offbeat with eccentric characters
 
You found a new codewords for 'quirky' and 'silly'.
 
> but the central message that family dysfunction in childhood can negatively impact a person throughout their lives is a poignant and well-done one.
 
You make it sound like a serious drama...
 
> I recommend this movie and I believe it deserves its good reputation.
> 7.5-8/10.
 
Hell no.
 
 
> So now I've seen three Wes Anderson films--The Squid and the Whale, The
> Grand Budapest Hotel and The Royal Tenenbaums and I liked the latter two a
> lot.
 
Exactly opposite for me. This is how I rated Anderson films...
 
The Squid and the Whale (2005): 7
(The only serious Anderson film I've seen)
 
Rushmore (1998): 5
Moonrise Kingdom (2012): 5
The Royal Tenenbaums (2001): 4
The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014): 4
 
Terrible overrated quirky crap really. And don't say I didn't give him
enough chances...
TT <ascii@dprk.kp>: Jul 10 01:08AM +0300

Gracchus kirjoitti 9.7.2017 klo 21:30:
> On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 10:44:47 AM UTC-7, Court_1 wrote:
 
>> Interesting note about Hackman is that apparently he was a real prick on this movie and made life living hell for Wes Anderson.
 
> Well done, Gene!
 
Hope he'd have punched the bastard, too.
Gracchus <gracchado@gmail.com>: Jul 09 03:50PM -0700

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 3:07:53 PM UTC-7, TT wrote:
> The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014): 4
 
> Terrible overrated quirky crap really. And don't say I didn't give him
> enough chances...
 
The only Anderson film I've seen in its entirety other than "The Grand Budapest Hotel" is "Rushmore." And I hated that too. In all the "quirky" films I've seen over the years, only rarely have I found them as clever as intended to be. Usually quirk is a cheap and easy substitute for quality story with rounded characters.
TT <ascii@dprk.kp>: Jul 10 02:04AM +0300

Gracchus kirjoitti 10.7.2017 klo 1:50:
 
>> Terrible overrated quirky crap really. And don't say I didn't give him
>> enough chances...
 
> The only Anderson film I've seen in its entirety other than "The Grand Budapest Hotel" is "Rushmore." And I hated that too. In all the "quirky" films I've seen over the years, only rarely have I found them as clever as intended to be. Usually quirk is a cheap and easy substitute for quality story with rounded characters.
 
Liking Anderson films is probably a dingbat thing. No offence to anyone. :)
Court_1 <olympia0000@yahoo.com>: Jul 09 08:35PM -0700

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 6:07:53 PM UTC-4, TT wrote:
 
> Court_1 kirjoitti 9.7.2017 klo 20:44:
> > It's offbeat with eccentric characters
 
> You found a new codewords for 'quirky' and 'silly'.
 
It's quirky but the central message is far from silly.

> > but the central message that family dysfunction in childhood can negatively impact a person throughout their lives is a poignant and well-done one.
 
> You make it sound like a serious drama...
 
It's some quirkiness, some dark humor, some lightheartedness bordering on a cartoon-like quality mixed in with a serious message and all shot in beautiful vivid Anderson-type colors(similar to Tim Burton.) He mixes fantasy with a serious subject matter and does it effortlessly IMO. I think he's a very inventive director.

> > I recommend this movie and I believe it deserves its good reputation.
> > 7.5-8/10.
 
> Hell no.
 
Yes! I've avoided this movie for a long time because I thought it would be: a) too quirky for my tastes and b) because I'm not a fan of the Wilson brothers. But I was pleasantly surprised and found the film to be very well-done and thought provoking. I'm still thinking about various elements and complexities of the film two days later.
 

> The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014): 4
 
> Terrible overrated quirky crap really. And don't say I didn't give him
> enough chances...
 
I HATED The Squid and the Whale when I saw it a LONG time ago. I thought it was dull. Maybe if I gave it a second chance today, I'd appreciate it more?
 
TGBH and TRT are fabulous films and as I said, a real mix of quirkiness with serious undertones. He masters offbeat with undertones of darker themes beautifully and it's all done on a beautiful canvas to view. He's super innovative IMO.
 
I'm looking forward to see some of his other movies.
 
CALLING GRIF! Did you see "The Royal Tenenbaums" and if so, what did YOU think. Please, somebody with some sensible movie taste weigh in! :)
Court_1 <olympia0000@yahoo.com>: Jul 09 08:42PM -0700

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 6:50:20 PM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:
 
> > Terrible overrated quirky crap really. And don't say I didn't give him
> > enough chances...
 
> The only Anderson film I've seen in its entirety other than "The Grand Budapest Hotel" is "Rushmore." And I hated that too. In all the "quirky" films I've seen over the years, only rarely have I found them as clever as intended to be. Usually quirk is a cheap and easy substitute for quality story with rounded characters.
 
I often agree that quirky is a code for silly overrated crap without depth but not in the case of The Royal Tenenbaums IMO. It deserves its great reputation and it is VERY clever with well-rounded characters IMO.
TT <ascii@dprk.kp>: Jul 10 12:46AM +0300

jdeluise kirjoitti 9.7.2017 klo 15:19:
> above average special effects. It *was*, however, an improvement over
> the laughably bad "Prometheus". Did I hear right that Scott is planning
> 5 more films in this series?!?
 
5 more? Oh no...
 
Yes, It copied stuff from Alien and Alien 2. But the problem is how many
times is it new and exciting to blow the alien off the airlock or to
capture it with a forklift...
 
SPOILERS FOLLOW
 
As for the 'awesome surprise ending', everybody was able to see it
coming miles away...
 
...I think a better ending would have been the female protagonist
noticing that the android had cut the wrong arm off, which I actually
suspected was the case and thought the good android had used and lost
his right arm. Then a battle of wits would ensue. Well, at least we now
probably don't have to endure the uncharismatic Plain Jane the next film(s).
 
SPOILERS END.
TT <ascii@dprk.kp>: Jul 10 12:54AM +0300

soccerfan777 kirjoitti 9.7.2017 klo 16:25:
>> the laughably bad "Prometheus". Did I hear right that Scott is planning
>> 5 more films in this series?!?
 
> I was disgusted with Prometheus and the Alien vs Predator movie. Ridley Scott has lost it. I can't believe this is the same director who directed Alien (1979). That was an ultimate classic with a simple plot and few character. Prometheus was an exact opposite of it.
 
Yes this was overstuffed. Better to have simple but effective story.
 
I thought Prometheus was roughly equally mediocre as this one. I liked
Alien vs Predator films (the first one more) although admit they're shlock.
soccerfan777 <zepfloyes@gmail.com>: Jul 09 05:08PM -0700

I don't buy that Predator is a good guy and will help us puny humans fight the aliens
jdeluise <jdeluise@gmail.com>: Jul 10 01:08AM

On Sun, 09 Jul 2017 17:08:10 -0700, soccerfan777 wrote:
 
> I don't buy that Predator is a good guy and will help us puny humans
> fight the aliens
 
Well, those movies couldn't possibly follow canon.
jdeluise <jdeluise@gmail.com>: Jul 10 03:34AM

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 00:54:49 +0300, TT wrote:
 
> I thought Prometheus was roughly equally mediocre as this one.
 
I thought Prometheus was much worse, but perhaps I need to watch it
again. I've heard that the director's cut fleshes out some sections that
didn't make a lot of sense in the theatrical release, but honestly
haven't had the interest to try and save it. This one seemed more
consistent, at least, although there was once again some really stupid
and unconvincing behavior from at least one main character that seriously
harmed my ability to suspend disbelief :)
Giovanna <giovanapel@bol.com.br>: Jul 09 06:36PM -0700

Muller, paire & mannarino.. wtf
PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com>: Jul 09 07:09PM -0700

> Muller, paire & mannarino.. wtf
 
You forgot he will play the number one player Murray, lol :)
TT <ascii@dprk.kp>: Jul 10 12:57AM +0300

Brian W Lawrence kirjoitti 9.7.2017 klo 17:28:
> J Ostapenko 44/34 78 56.4%
> A Kerber 43/34 77 55.8%
> A Konjuh 43/36 79 54.4%
 
Thank you. Nice formatting, too.
kaennorsing <ljubitsis@hotmail.com>: Jul 09 04:24PM -0700

Op zondag 9 juli 2017 16:28:18 UTC+2 schreef Brian W Lawrence:
> J Ostapenko 44/34 78 56.4%
> A Kerber 43/34 77 55.8%
> A Konjuh 43/36 79 54.4%
 
Well done, thanks. What's interesting is the exact reverse order of the big four, as far as pre-tournament title favorites.
 
And who would have guessed Dimitrov would have the most efficient first week? Looks like Fed will have his hands full tomorrow!
Carey <carey_1959@yahoo.com>: Jul 09 04:31PM -0700

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 4:25:00 PM UTC-7, kaennorsing wrote:
 
>Looks like Fed will have his hands full tomorrow!
 
 
Yes, I'm thinking so, too. Go Fed!
jdeluise <jdeluise@gmail.com>: Jul 10 02:08AM

On Sun, 09 Jul 2017 16:31:56 -0700, Carey wrote:
 
> On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 4:25:00 PM UTC-7, kaennorsing wrote:
 
> >Looks like Fed will have his hands full tomorrow!
 
> Yes, I'm thinking so, too. Go Fed!
 
Yes although at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if Fed blows him
out of the water... Dimitrov is not a mentally strong player and I
suspect he'll probably beat himself, maybe he'll even retire! :)
"Javier González" <jagonzal@gmail.com>: Jul 09 05:24PM -0700

On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 9:08:06 AM UTC-4, Whisper wrote:
 
> ---
> This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
> http://www.avg.com
 
http://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/Israels-Dudi-Sela-out-of-Wimbledon-after-retiring-injured-499112
 
Shoulda played through the injury so that Whisper wasn't offended ;)
kaennorsing <ljubitsis@hotmail.com>: Jul 09 04:31PM -0700

Op zondag 9 juli 2017 07:50:27 UTC+2 schreef Patrick Kehoe:
 
> Next match potentially physically taxing, so, he'll need plenty of sleep tonight and Sunday night... :)
 
> Keep away from dairy products :))))
 
> P
 
Yes, lay off the Swiss cheese for a week or so.
joh <joshorst@gmail.com>: Jul 09 12:40PM -0700


> > who's hillary?
 
> Hillary Clinton, that nasty woman the Democrats made their presidential candidate last year.
 
Oh that Hillary. I hear she lost.
calimero377@gmx.de: Jul 09 01:18PM -0700

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 9:41:00 PM UTC+2, joh wrote:
 
> > Hillary Clinton, that nasty woman the Democrats made their presidential candidate last year.
 
> Oh that Hillary. I hear she lost.
 
 
Yes, but she won the electoral vote!
That means she got more votes than the orange clown. Sad!
 
 
Max
joh <joshorst@gmail.com>: Jul 09 01:31PM -0700


> > Oh that Hillary. I hear she lost.
 
> Yes, but she won the electoral vote!
> That means she got more votes than the orange clown. Sad!
 
Probably bigger hands too.
soccerfan777 <zepfloyes@gmail.com>: Jul 09 12:40PM -0700

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 1:33:31 PM UTC-5, Gracchus wrote:
 
> > http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/19912997/bethanie-mattek-san
> > ds-dislocated-kneecap-ruptured-patella-tendon-wimbledon-fall
 
> And Whisper was calling her a drama queen. Damn dog-kicker deserves his kneecap wrecked too.
 
He was telling the same to his dog "don't be a drama queen bitch", moments before the poor thing died.
PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com>: Jul 09 12:43PM -0700

> He was telling the same to his dog "don't be a drama queen bitch", moments before the poor thing died.
 
Did he not say that Venus did the old guy who died after the car crash a favor?
Gracchus <gracchado@gmail.com>: Jul 09 01:20PM -0700

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 12:40:49 PM UTC-7, soccerfan777 wrote:
> > > ds-dislocated-kneecap-ruptured-patella-tendon-wimbledon-fall
 
> > And Whisper was calling her a drama queen. Damn dog-kicker deserves his kneecap wrecked too.
 
> He was telling the same to his dog "don't be a drama queen bitch", moments before the poor thing died.
 
That was his second dog, the one he killed with rat poison.
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to rec.sport.tennis+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment