Digest for rec.sport.football.college@googlegroups.com - 17 updates in 9 topics

Sunday, July 9, 2017

Ken Olson <kolson@freedomnet.org>: Jul 09 10:21PM -0400

On 7/9/2017 8:26 AM, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
 
> ---
> This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
> http://www.avg.com
 
They need a section for guys that had the stats to get in, but had other
factors that stopped their admission.
michael anderson <mianderson79@gmail.com>: Jul 09 08:13PM -0700

On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 10:01:09 AM UTC-5, RoddyMcCorley wrote:
 
> > Again, it's the baseball writers that are slagging him. Especially any that ever dealt with him as a player. He was a Jerk as a player and it's coming back to bite him. Multiple players say he was their worst teammate ever. A lot of players are jerks, but the writers tend to soften on them as the glow of nostalgia creeps in and players mellow out in retirement. However, His complete lack of class has just amplified when you give him a microphone and twitter account and thus he is a constant reminder to others of what a rule 5 exception he really is. Heck, Pete Rose has more class than this clown.
 
> Frankly, he does not have the numbers. Plenty of good pitchers with
> better numbers ahead of him - Andy Pettite, Mike Mussina, Jack Morris, etc.
 
ummm no jack morris certainly doesn't have better numbers. And please dont cite something ridiculous like win-loss as a meaningful metric.
 
tim.vanwagonerspam@gmail.com: Jul 09 08:33PM -0700

Neither belong in the hall. The only HOF (or HOF bound) pitcher in the top 10 in similarity scores to Schilling is Smoltz (10th) and he got in on a gift to an interrupted career and a resurrection as a closer.
 
the top five are
 
Kevin Brown
Bob Welch
CC sabathia
Tim Hudson
Orel Hershiser
 
All candidates for the Hall of Very Good, not candidates for the HOF.
 
The rest,
Freddie fitzsimmoms
Milt Pappas
Mark Buehrle
Bartolo Colon
 
So once again, Schilling is not a first ballot HOFer being held out by evil liberals at the NYT because he is an outspoken conservative. He isn't in the hall because no one else like him pitching wise is in either.
Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net>: Jul 09 09:00PM -0700

In article <af4faf9c-2295-4f56-90c4-42763760b826@googlegroups.com>,
 
> > Frankly, he does not have the numbers. Plenty of good pitchers with
> > better numbers ahead of him - Andy Pettite, Mike Mussina, Jack Morris, etc.
 
> ummm no jack morris certainly doesn't have better numbers. And please dont cite something ridiculous like win-loss as a meaningful metric.
 
Poisoning the well fallacy.
 
--
Michael Press
michael anderson <mianderson79@gmail.com>: Jul 09 09:16PM -0700

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 11:00:39 PM UTC-5, Michael Press wrote:
> > > better numbers ahead of him - Andy Pettite, Mike Mussina, Jack Morris, etc.
 
> > ummm no jack morris certainly doesn't have better numbers. And please dont cite something ridiculous like win-loss as a meaningful metric.
 
> Poisoning the well fallacy.
 
or accurately anticipating a bad argument
"Con Reeder, unhyphenated American" <constance@duxmail.com>: Jul 09 11:03PM -0500

> might better afford than having to buy newer was eliminated; a supply of
> lower-cost spare parts to keep older vehicles running was eliminated;
> rare, collectible cars were lost.
 
Yup. As the article describes, far from having a neutral effect on
the market and the economy, it had a negative effect.
 
This is why, IMO, our growth has been so poor over the past 15 years.
As government becomes a larger and larger part of the spending
pie, we have poorer and poorer productivity and many of these
negative effects.
 
--
There's nothing sweeter than life nor more precious than time.
-- Barney
tim.vanwagonerspam@gmail.com: Jul 09 06:03PM -0700

Connie, this isn't about centralized control or Obamacare. This isn't some textbook or theoretical economic paradigm. Healthcare isn't like buying a television, so outside of getting the government completely out of the picture, which, if that is your answer shows that you're delusional, ...
 
Never mind, there is no point in arguing with someone that just reflectively just falls back on a worldview and thinks that is the answer to every contingency. There's nothing rare about that, it happens on both sides, but those of us actually in the game have realities that we have to deal with.
"Con Reeder, unhyphenated American" <constance@duxmail.com>: Jul 09 11:01PM -0500

> buying a television, so outside of getting the government completely
> out of the picture, which, if that is your answer shows that you're
> delusional, ...
 
The inevitable straw man. Because I suggest that consumers can make good
health care choices given the proper amount of information, you say "get
government completely out of health care".
 
> Never mind, there is no point in arguing with someone that just
> reflectively just falls back on a worldview and thinks that is the
> answer to every contingency.
 
I hope that doesn't describe me nearly as well as it describes you.
 
> There's nothing rare about that, it happens on both sides, but those
> of us actually in the game have realities that we have to deal with.
 
And my guess is that skin in the game gives one an agenda.
 
--
There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale
returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
-- Mark Twain
Ken Olson <kolson@freedomnet.org>: Jul 09 10:16PM -0400

On 7/9/2017 8:41 AM, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
 
> ---
> This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
> http://www.avg.com
 
I always figured that dnrapp is a sock for mia.
michael anderson <mianderson79@gmail.com>: Jul 09 08:08PM -0700

On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 8:17:38 AM UTC-5, dnrapp wrote:
 
> > http://www.ndinsider.com/football/notre-dame-adds-home-and-home-series-with-sec-foe/article_6ddfabf2-6269-11e7-b62e-93fd5a6eab90.html
 
> > http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/07/notre_dame_arkansas_schedule_h.html
 
> So I did. but still all the usual alabama fanboys posted spewing their bama propaganda
 
new series are signed all the time. I wasnt aware of any nd-bama home and home, but I figured maybe the news just broke and you were reporting it before I logged in to a tide pride message board to see it. I wasn't thinking that you would just make shit up...(for what reason?)
michael anderson <mianderson79@gmail.com>: Jul 09 08:10PM -0700

On Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 8:17:38 AM UTC-5, dnrapp wrote:
 
> > http://www.ndinsider.com/football/notre-dame-adds-home-and-home-series-with-sec-foe/article_6ddfabf2-6269-11e7-b62e-93fd5a6eab90.html
 
> > http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/07/notre_dame_arkansas_schedule_h.html
 
> So I did. but still all the usual alabama fanboys posted spewing their bama propaganda
 
And as for propaganda, acknowledging greatness is not propaganda.
 
Alabama has(by far) the best college football program in the country now. Pointing that out is not propaganda
Ken Olson <kolson@freedomnet.org>: Jul 09 08:19PM -0400

On 7/6/2017 12:00 PM, Some dued wrote:
> I hope you all enjoy this elucidating message written in the most prosaic and verbose manner. I only regret this isn't a reply so I could also have included some context from a previous poster's blunderheaded statement, which is a luxury I don't usually have.
 
> Sincerely,
> Theodore L. Ward
 
So, how did your students do on the exam?
Some dued <theodoreward@gmail.com>: Jul 09 08:09PM -0700

Mostly pretty good, a few low ones.
Ken Olson <kolson@freedomnet.org>: Jul 09 10:18PM -0400

On 7/9/2017 9:30 AM, unclejr wrote:
 
>>> Mike
 
>> I plan on going to Valhalla. When you getting here?
 
> I'm listening to Immigrant Song right now!
 
I really love that song. My wife doesn't because I turn it TOO LOUD, at
least that's what I read from her lips.
Ken Olson <kolson@freedomnet.org>: Jul 09 10:15PM -0400


> It's either that way in a natural sense, or in a sense of what happens when a large enough number of people in any society HAVE TO die.
 
> This country is fucked, Hugh -- and it's people like you who did it.
 
> Mike
 
People that served their country and community honorably and were
gainfully employed for decades in their chosen field?
Ken Olson <kolson@freedomnet.org>: Jul 09 07:12PM -0400

On 7/9/2017 11:06 AM, michael anderson wrote:
 
> Everyone agrees that there is an opiate epidemic in this country. Do you think all of these people dying from overdosing on Opana or fentanyl or heroin just one day woke up and started shooting it? Of course not....we know that for many of them it started with marijuana. Of course not everyone who starts smoking weed at age 18 with friends goes on to shoot Opana....most don't. But a lot do.
 
> I have mixed feelings about making MJ legal. I'm not as opposed to legality as someone like Jeff sessions because I have a libertarian streak. But I'm also aware of just how sketchy and seedy the legal 'medical'(btw there is no such real thing that meets evidence based medicine criteria) marijuana and legal recreational marijuana trade is- in a lot of cases it's just a way for huge drug rings to grow massive amounts of pot and most of it does get eventually diverted into illegal channels.
 
> I don't doubt that the marijuana users you describe exist(high end clientele who have brought about a wine aficionado culture to MJ), but to portray them as the typical MJ user is laughable and out of touch with reality.
 
https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/marijuana-gateway-drug
 
 
http://www.factcheck.org/2015/04/is-marijuana-really-a-gateway-drug/
 
 
http://healthland.time.com/2010/10/29/marijuna-as-a-gateway-drug-the-myth-that-will-not-die/
 
Gateway drug theory is far from settled. Does mother's milk lead to
everything?
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jul 09 10:36PM

On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 11:26:26 -0700 (PDT), Futbol Phan
 
>That will be the day. Hugh is never wrong. And he never, ever, lies.
 
Look at my response you poor excuse for an educator.
 
No I don't lie - the facts make you little people look bad enough.
 
Hugh
 
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to rec.sport.football.college+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment