Digest for rec.sport.football.college@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 9 topics

Monday, July 17, 2017

Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net>: Jul 17 11:19AM -0700

In article <7cd9dd01-8ba9-4760-95e3-3214435f1860@googlegroups.com>,
 
> I use a 13 inch Macbook at work and I have a 25 inch monitor on my desk. I like the Mac keyboard so I have them set up so that when I'm at my desk the Mac is open in front of me and the big monitor is right behind and over it, and I set the display arrangement so the external monitor is on top of the internal monitor.
 
> Btw I'm not too thrilled about the latest MacBooks, which only come with USB-C ports, including for power. So unless you buy expensive Apple gear you probably need a bag of adapters to connect to anything else like monitors, mice, feh. (see: http://www.techconnect.com/article/3136583/macbook-accessories/macbook-pro-thunderbolt-3-adapter-guide-how-to-connect-an-iphone-display-hard-drive-and-more.html)
 
> I have the previous generation Macbook with 1 magsafe, 2 thunderbolt, 2 "normal" usb 1 hdmi and 1 SD card port. That's just about the ideal configuration IMO and if it's a Mac shop I'd look for one of those used or reconditioned.
 
Sounds like an option is to buy an older Macbook with the features you recommend.
 
--
Michael Press
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jul 17 10:01PM

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 10:54:05 -0700 (PDT), Some dued
 
>I like having a 17 inch laptop and no external keyboard/monitor. Just a wireless mouse.
 
My Asus is the 17" and the monitor is 25". I have never unhooked it
from the monitor. I have a wired keyboard and wireless mouse. All that
stuff is beyond my level of sophistication.
 
I have a 15" HP and smaller monitor behind me but I rarely use it. And
I have an iPad and Samsung cell phone. My Google calendar is
simultaneous on all three.
 
My Win 10 home screen looks like Win 7 - none of the 10 stuff appears.
I don't adapt well to new technology. In fact my DOS screen looked
like Win 7 once icons were available.
 
I like the wide monitor because double pages are normal size for the
smaller laptop.
 
At my age I learn how to do what I need to do but I am no competition
for you young guys.
 
Hugh
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
"The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior" <iamtj4life@gmail.com>: Jul 17 02:59PM -0700

Curious what our friends on the left think of this. And yes, the author is a liberal member of the MSM - or at least certainly not a "conservative"
 
https://amp.businessinsider.com/liberals-can-win-if-they-stop-being-so-annoying-2017-7
Some dued <theodoreward@gmail.com>: Jul 17 10:58AM -0700

I should probably apologize for lumping you guys all in with Hugh, but it's hard not to do in this small environment.
"The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior" <iamtj4life@gmail.com>: Jul 17 11:06AM -0700

On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 12:58:21 PM UTC-5, Some dued wrote:
> I should probably apologize for lumping you guys all in with Hugh, but it's hard not to do in this small environment.
 
Well, I don't equate you w/ Dorkstar
michael anderson <mianderson79@gmail.com>: Jul 17 12:43PM -0700

On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 10:05:08 AM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
> Note that Jennifer Rubin is a conservative.
> https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2017/07/14/the-gops-moral-rot-is-the-problem-not-donald-trump-jr/
 
all this is well and good, but as long as the dems continue to believe that the govt is the solution for everything and that a 'fix' of anything just involves more funding/tax dollars to fix it, I'll always be a republican....regardlessof what the gop does.
Ken Olson <kolson@freedomnet.org>: Jul 17 04:16PM -0400

On 7/17/2017 1:56 PM, Some dued wrote:
> No racism here right Ken?
 
I don't know the contents of his heart.
Ken Olson <kolson@freedomnet.org>: Jul 17 04:16PM -0400

On 7/17/2017 2:06 PM, The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior wrote:
> On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 12:58:21 PM UTC-5, Some dued wrote:
>> I should probably apologize for lumping you guys all in with Hugh, but it's hard not to do in this small environment.
 
> Well, I don't equate you w/ Dorkstar
 
+1
unclejr <watsona64@gmail.com>: Jul 17 01:34PM -0700

On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 2:44:09 PM UTC-5, michael anderson wrote:
> > Note that Jennifer Rubin is a conservative.
> > https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2017/07/14/the-gops-moral-rot-is-the-problem-not-donald-trump-jr/
 
> all this is well and good, but as long as the dems continue to believe that the govt is the solution for everything and that a 'fix' of anything just involves more funding/tax dollars to fix it, I'll always be a republican....regardlessof what the gop does.
 
Weren't you a "progressive" not too long ago?
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jul 17 09:31PM

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 10:56:57 -0700 (PDT), Some dued
 
>No racism here right Ken?
 
Which race?
 
Hugh
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jul 17 09:42PM


>Hugh, what's wrong with halfbreeds? You say that like there's something wrong with them.
 
You asked that before and I replied that I have never said anything
was wrong with half breeds..
 
Obama contends he is black when he is half of each. Half breed is the
truth, black is a lie. He looks black but he is still half white.
 
I ridicule African-American and Native American terminology because
they are absurd terms. According to scientists we are all A-A and I am
a NA, born in MS.
 
I avoid being politically correct every time I can.
 
Hugh
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jul 17 09:45PM

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 10:58:18 -0700 (PDT), Some dued
 
>I should probably apologize for lumping you guys all in with Hugh, but it's hard not to do in this small environment.
 
You failed to legislate equality. But I could make them better.
 
Hugh
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com>: Jul 17 11:03AM -0700

On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 1:57:04 PM UTC-4, JGibson wrote:
 
> > That must have been some organization chart showing 240-300 people
> > reporting directly to you.
 
> That seems pretty typical these days. My wife's company just wiped out an entire layer of middle management. When I started where I am, I was only 3 steps removed from CEO (me --> My manager --> CTO --> CEO).
 
My company had a near-death experience in the 1990s and after the turnaround was complete the CEO was my fifth line manger.
 
Now we are struggling again and the CEO is my seventh line manager.
jim brown <jimbrowndoc@yahoo.com>: Jul 17 12:15PM -0700

On Saturday, July 15, 2017 at 11:22:03 AM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
 
> 1. An aging workspace where you have your own office or cube or
> 2. A bright shiny new open landscape workspace
 
> My choice is definitely 1.
 
 
 
The open landscape of Iowa farmland :)
Ken Olson <kolson@freedomnet.org>: Jul 17 04:14PM -0400

On 7/17/2017 3:15 PM, jim brown wrote:
 
>> My choice is definitely 1.
 
> The open landscape of Iowa farmland :)
 
Like.
irishranger317@gmail.com: Jul 17 02:19PM -0700

On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 12:14:35 PM UTC-4, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
 
> >Irish Mike
 
> Managing that many people is not very effective in my opinion. It
> should be a pyramid.
 
I said I managed them, I didn't say each of them reported to me directly.
However, too many corporations devolve into inefficient multi-layered,over-staffed bureaucracies.
Just like our government.
 
Irish Mike
"the_andrew_smith@yahoo.com" <agavinsmith@gmail.com>: Jul 17 02:21PM -0700

Annual reviews, when/ifI had them, were typically done in person. We might meet around another meeting or meet just for the review.
 
The results of annual reviews should never be a surprise, so if someone's was getting canned, they weren't surprised. Pretty rare I've had to fire someone.
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jul 17 09:29PM

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 10:57:01 -0700 (PDT), JGibson
 
>> That must have been some organization chart showing 240-300 people
>> reporting directly to you.
 
>That seems pretty typical these days. My wife's company just wiped out an entire layer of middle management. When I started where I am, I was only 3 steps removed from CEO (me --> My manager --> CTO --> CEO).
 
Obviously I don't have much knowledge how companies work these days -
but I know how it worked when it worked very well - at my company,
that is.
 
A manager/executive can be spread too thin to effectively accomplish
his task(s). Seems to me that one man can supervise 100+ people who
are doing the exact same operation, but he needs the pyramid if they
have varying tasks.
 
I could close order drill 100+ people but not when they went to
variable classes for different rates.
 
Ther are too many variables to pass a single judgement.
 
Hugh
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
"the_andrew_smith@yahoo.com" <agavinsmith@gmail.com>: Jul 17 02:24PM -0700

Gamification of sick & vacation days.
 
It works to the employers advantage to offer discretionary time off.
 
Plus they don't have to buy them when you leave.
JGibson <james.m.gibson@gmail.com>: Jul 17 02:28PM -0700

> Gamification of sick & vacation days.
 
> It works to the employers advantage to offer discretionary time off.
 
> Plus they don't have to buy them when you leave.
 
This last point is the big one at my wife's employer. When you are a lead professional, you have sick days and vacation days. When you get promoted to senior, you just get take the time you need. That makes for no buying them and no 5-week paid vacations right before your retirement.
"the_andrew_smith@yahoo.com" <agavinsmith@gmail.com>: Jul 17 02:22PM -0700

Got to CLT with time to spare. In Newport RI today.
Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net>: Jul 17 09:14AM -0700

In article <0a6ea9dd-5fc6-4271-862a-02ff8f06e3e8@googlegroups.com>,
 
> It rightfully slams the NRA but not gun owners.
 
> http://www.thedailybeast.com/the-nra-has-entered-the-province-of-cowards
 
I saw one of those videos.
Many of the responses are hyperbolic, overly emotional,
and say that the speaker says things that the speaker
does not say. Those responses are outright lies.
 
--
Michael Press
Ken Olson <kolson@freedomnet.org>: Jul 17 04:34PM -0400

On 7/17/2017 9:10 AM, xyzzy wrote:
 
>> Maybe because most of us agree with them. Or want them to be more
>> aggressive.
 
> A lot of the members who disagree drop their memberships. So there's an issue of self-selection going too.
 
Membership numbers keep growing. I'm a Life Member at the Benefactor level.
Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net>: Jul 17 11:16AM -0700

In article <6f8195c6-b172-4859-8d4a-3266d6374df4@googlegroups.com>,
> > deliver on its promise to provide a coherent theoretical
> > foundation for conservatism.
 
> this is incorrect. They have done this, and done it very well.
 
If that were so, then the Republican congress
would not be in the fix they are in. Those who
virtue signal as conservatives do not have a plan.
They are bloviating feather bedders just as divorced
from voters with conservative values as Democrats are.
 
> the problem for them is that it's not what voters want.
 
Yes, straight out of the article. They do not _know_
what votes want. They _tell_ them what they want,
same as Democrats.
 
--
Michael Press
Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net>: Jul 17 09:22AM -0700

In article <55d489ae-59f9-4a82-bc1f-949fdf07b2b4@googlegroups.com>,
 
> Critics of Hitler in 1939 were obsessed with Hitler.
 
You are wrong.
 
In article <rubrum-149CD6.11464215072017@news.albasani.net>,
Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net> wrote:
 
 
--
Michael Press
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to rec.sport.football.college+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment