Digest for rec.sport.football.college@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 12 topics

Monday, July 3, 2017

unclejr <watsona64@gmail.com>: Jul 03 08:02AM -0700

On Sunday, July 2, 2017 at 10:25:14 PM UTC-5, Michael Press wrote:
 
> > First I've heard of it, but it certainly does sound Trumpian and therefore may be a stain on his record.
 
> You ain't heard nothing yet.
> Research how President Obama suppressed journalists.
 
Oh, yes. Barack Obama was a complete despot while POTUS. Got it.
"the_andrew_smith@yahoo.com" <agavinsmith@gmail.com>: Jul 03 06:06AM -0700

A colleague sent this link this AM
 
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/04/48-prince-philips-greatest-gaffes-funny-moments/
unclejr <watsona64@gmail.com>: Jul 03 08:01AM -0700

> A colleague sent this link this AM
 
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/04/48-prince-philips-greatest-gaffes-funny-moments/
 
I heard that he came over from Germany swiftly.
"the_andrew_smith@yahoo.com" <agavinsmith@gmail.com>: Jul 03 07:05AM -0700

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2017/JUNE17/DBJune23.html
 
He's going to look like a miracle worker.
 
He'll be at a major D1 program again soon.
unclejr <watsona64@gmail.com>: Jul 03 07:59AM -0700

> http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2017/JUNE17/DBJune23.html
 
> He's going to look like a miracle worker.
 
> He'll be at a major D1 program again soon.
 
Off topic poast. This needs to be cross-posted in alt.politics.
Some dued <theodoreward@gmail.com>: Jul 02 09:25PM -0700

I know people who live off the grid and use solar cells for power. I hope you can decipher what I am saying.
Ken Olson <kolson@freedomnet.org>: Jul 03 12:47AM -0400

On 7/3/2017 12:25 AM, Some dued wrote:
> I know people who live off the grid and use solar cells for power. I hope you can decipher what I am saying.
 
Thank you. That's good. I did.
xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com>: Jul 03 07:31AM -0700

On Sunday, July 2, 2017 at 12:04:22 PM UTC-4, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:
> worse, which introduces problems of its own. The task is different, and not
> really simpler once you adjust for that and you have a suitable repository
> for the expended fuel.
 
it's an interesting discussion with a lot that goes into it. More than the volume of waste per kwh produced, also have to consider how nasty that waste is. I like the way the article says it only takes a few thousand year before most nuclear waste is inert. Practically benign!
 
The other question is how accident prone each is. Solar plants are relatively simple and passive. Most of them operate fine with no operator on site. Nuclear plants are complex and have a zillion moving parts that all have to operated exactly correctly at all times or disaster ensues.
 
btw I'm a fan of both nuclear and solar. But we have to acknowledge the dangers and drawbacks of both. The cited article is good for not letting people forget those for solar, because disposals of obsolete panels is something people don't tend to think about like nuclear waste. But it also reminds me of a WSJ snark in the 1990s, they were snarking on liberal musicians and posited that CDs would be the toxic waste crisis of the future. Still hasn't happened.
"Con Reeder, unhyphenated American" <constance@duxmail.com>: Jul 03 09:45AM -0500


> The other question is how accident prone each is. Solar plants are
> relatively simple and passive. Most of them operate fine with no
> operator on site.
 
But at what efficiency levels? If you grant the most modern technology,
they may be pretty troublefree. But ....
 
> Nuclear plants are complex and have a zillion moving parts that all
> have to operated exactly correctly at all times or disaster ensues.
 
... that is also true for the newer nuclear plants. They are pretty
failsafe. They definitely require trained management, but they aren't
really prone to disaster in normal operation.
 
> waste. But it also reminds me of a WSJ snark in the 1990s, they were
> snarking on liberal musicians and posited that CDs would be the toxic
> waste crisis of the future. Still hasn't happened.
 
There are many many variables. The land utilization for solar sucks, for
example. It requires more maintenance than people grant, because
they are degraded by dirt and other contamination of the panels and
dealing with that (or not dealing with it) costs. Security and defense
against animals has to be dealt with. Considering the very low energy
density of solar, these are significant factors that are ignored.
 
Unfortunately, very few people are educated about these things, and
the most fervent "environmentalists" seem to be about the worst, as they
are impervious to information, making decisions like religious zealots
reading some modern-day bible. But their bibles are often decades-old
activist screed.
 
As an example, there are tons of living room environmentalists who
insist we need to recycle because we are running out of landfill
space, or that fuel to haul trash is killing our planet with "carbon
pollution". A greater bunch of horsehockey has rarely been uttered, yet
they cite it like it is gospel.
 
--
"I find that a great part of the information I have was acquired
by looking up something and finding something else on the way."
-- Franklin Pierce Adams
unclejr <watsona64@gmail.com>: Jul 03 07:58AM -0700

On Sunday, July 2, 2017 at 3:10:29 AM UTC-5, Michael Press wrote:
> of toxic waste.
 
> <http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/01/solar-panels-generate-300-times-more-toxic-waste-than-nuclear-reactors/>
> <http://tinyurl.com/y8mbfuw9>
 
I vote for more coal-fired power.
xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com>: Jul 03 07:37AM -0700

> I freaking love summer.
 
you shouldn't call your kids that.
 
But the steak sounds good.
"the_andrew_smith@yahoo.com" <agavinsmith@gmail.com>: Jul 03 07:57AM -0700

The steak was awesome. Sat in the bottom of the fridge about 2 weeks beyond the "best by" date. Aged to perfection.
 
The bratwursts were great as usual. I don't think I've ever had bad bratwurst. I've had overcooked bratwursts but never seemingly poorly made ones. Maybe by design they're simple to create? What I really need is more deer sausage. For that, I need more venison.
 
The brats are good. All four areswimming like fish.
"the_andrew_smith@yahoo.com" <agavinsmith@gmail.com>: Jul 03 07:16AM -0700

https://youtu.be/xoQKIoTXQOs
unclejr <watsona64@gmail.com>: Jul 03 07:56AM -0700

> https://youtu.be/xoQKIoTXQOs
 
Not the same without the original members of Great White.
darkstar7646@gmail.com: Jul 03 03:06AM -0700

On Sunday, July 2, 2017 at 2:54:54 PM UTC-7, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
 
> The rights DO exist, but your are not sufficiently advanced mentally
> to comprehend their meaning.
 
And then you go and say the exact opposite.

> life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."
 
> 1. All men are NOT created equal - except for the soul if you are a
> Christian.
 
I think we would go a long way in this country once we admit this fact. All are not and never have been created equally.
 
> 2. Life is temporary.
 
And there is no inherent right to it, especially under the Republican and Conservative platforms.
 
> 3. Liberty is based on not being incarcerated.
 
That'd be one way to go about it, but I think it far simpler:
 
> 4. Pursuit of hapiness does not guarantee happiness.
 
And here's where your argument falls apart. We're not even to the concept of result here. If a person's pursuit of happiness -- even the act of pursuit -- sufficiently violates the safety of important-enough others, than that person has neither liberty nor the right to pursue happiness.
 
Mike
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jul 03 12:04PM

>> Christian.
 
>I think we would go a long way in this country once we admit this fact. Al=
>l are not and never have been created equally.
 
Is that some light at the end of the liberal tunnel?
 
>> 2. Life is temporary.
 
>And there is no inherent right to it, especially under the Republican and C=
>onservative platforms.
 
Who died or was denied treatment because of any political platform?
Only liberals are stupid enough to think socialism is the only way, i.
e., round is not the best shape for a wheel.
 
>That'd be one way to go about it, but I think it far simpler:
 
>> 4. Pursuit of hapiness does not guarantee happiness.
 
>And here's where your argument falls apart.
 
That's the ONLY fact.
 
>We're not even to the concept of result here.
 
Your source, the DoI is silent on that.
 
>If a person's pursuit of happiness -- even the act of purs=
>uit -- sufficiently violates the safety of important-enough others, than th=
>at person has neither liberty nor the right to pursue happiness.
 
It surely works if the other side gets killed.
 
If that pursuit endangers wage earners, you die,too, because there is
no golden goose.
 
Hugh
 
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com>: Jul 03 07:24AM -0700

On Saturday, July 1, 2017 at 4:23:31 PM UTC-4, Some dued wrote:
> Articles about someone getting crushed or destroyed are up there with "weird old trick" and "your jaw will drop when you see".
 
Right up there with BOOM!
 
(unless it's a poast about supersonic jets)
plaidmoon@gmail.com: Jul 02 10:23PM -0700

He posted that in January 1991. It was the 1990 season and the 1991 New Year's Day bowl games. I thought that would make them the 1990 champions, but I could be wrong.
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jul 03 12:29PM

On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 20:10:54 -0700 (PDT), unclejr <watsona64@gmail.com>
wrote:
 
>Holy time capsule, Batman.
 
I cede the Blue Ribbon for 3 July.
 
Hugh
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com>: Jul 03 07:22AM -0700

On Monday, July 3, 2017 at 12:17:25 AM UTC-4, Some dued wrote:
> These old threads are a hell of a lot more entertaining to read.
 
When you see the names and variety of people who responded to them and compare to today, they are depressing.
Mercellus Bohren <mercellusb@yahoo.com>: Jul 03 06:59AM -0700

On Monday, December 10, 1990 at 2:35:44 PM UTC-5, Bill Winchester wrote:
> and 77. I, for one, am glad he's back.
 
> GO SPARTANS
 
> Bill Winchester
 
IAWTP.
"the_andrew_smith@yahoo.com" <agavinsmith@gmail.com>: Jul 03 06:52AM -0700

https://blog.boomsupersonic.com
 
I'm on board.
 
Eventually, we'll see suborbital flight making a day trip to the othe side of the globe a normal thing.
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jul 03 12:26PM

On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 23:47:10 +0000 (UTC), CtrlAltDel <altiemcd@aol.com>
wrote:
 
>Trump by infiltrating our computer systems, our voting machines, and
>Putin actually had hundreds of thousands of Russian nationalist boots on
>the ground voting all around the nation.
 
If that was what it took, "Whatever it takes!"
 
Hugh
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net>: Jul 03 12:43AM -0700

In article <7a11eaf4-019c-4e09-9316-e401469d18b4@googlegroups.com>,
 
> > Rinse and repeat. Every. Single. Day.
 
> > <https://mobile.twitter.com/JesseKellyDC/status/881546696160882694>
 
> If you're going to play president, act presidential.
 
What the president does is presidential. Duh!
 
Sic the IRS on political enemies? Presidential.
Call out citizens for being racist? Presidential.
Sell Russia 20% of our uranium? Presidential.
Secretly obtainn the records of a journalist? Presidential.
Ignore court rulings? Presidential
Arm Mexican drug cartels? Presidential.
Fir the Inspector General for discovering that
Obama's friend had embezzled government funds? Presidential.
"You can keep your health care plan and doctor." Presidential.
Demand monetary payment for Freedom of Information Act request? Presidential.
 
--
Michael Press
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jul 03 12:16PM

On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 18:46:39 -0400, Ken Olson <kolson@freedomnet.org>
wrote:
 
 
>> <https://mobile.twitter.com/JesseKellyDC/status/881546696160882694>
 
>I look at it as that I have something to laugh about on a daily basis.
>Phony overreactions and fluffy outrage. Poofters, they are.
 
Without Trump I riducule the media. With Trump I can multitask.
 
Trump could learn a lesson from Obama about ignoring derogatory
remarks.
 
Liberals don't have to get over Trump being president but they have to
live with it. At present, that's good enough.
 
Hugh
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to rec.sport.football.college+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment