Digest for rec.sport.tennis@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 6 topics

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

heyguys00@gmail.com: Jun 28 10:36AM -0700

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 11:17:27 AM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:
> > hilarious to watch.
 
> So now Whisper's given you back full confidence that Mac would crush her, hmm?
> If it were just a matter of tennis skills, I'd agree. Serena doesn't *look* like she should be able to get to any ball, but somehow she does it well enough. Then there's Mac's age presenting mobility and fitness issues for him too. Would McEnroe's serve stymie Serena? Would Mac be gasping for breath after a few games? Nobody knows. Neither Serena's results against the women or McEnroe's on the senior tour are enough of an indication. Making Serena look like whale out of water with the drop shot & lob is a delicious fantasy, but really...
 
Mac can add a little more info to help settle all this himself. If he thinks Serena could maybe beat 700 and thinks he can beat Serena, then he should challenge Turnsunov or another 700s ranked player to a match. If he can beat #700 then we'll have a better sense of the level of the tour at that ranking level (eg, comparable to the seniors tour) rather than speculating.
Carey <carey_1959@yahoo.com>: Jun 28 10:39AM -0700


> Mac can add a little more info to help settle all this himself. If he thinks Serena could maybe beat 700 and thinks he can beat Serena, then he should challenge Turnsunov or another 700s ranked player to a match. If he can beat #700 then we'll have a better sense of the level of the tour at that ranking level (eg, comparable to the seniors tour) rather than speculating.
 
 
We wouldn't want to speculate here on RST, would we? That would be wrong.
arahim <arahim_arahim@hotmail.com>: Jun 28 10:58AM -0700


> > So now Whisper's given you back full confidence that Mac would crush her, hmm?
> > If it were just a matter of tennis skills, I'd agree. Serena doesn't *look* like she should be able to get to any ball, but somehow she does it well enough. Then there's Mac's age presenting mobility and fitness issues for him too. Would McEnroe's serve stymie Serena? Would Mac be gasping for breath after a few games? Nobody knows. Neither Serena's results against the women or McEnroe's on the senior tour are enough of an indication. Making Serena look like whale out of water with the drop shot & lob is a delicious fantasy, but really...
 
> Mac can add a little more info to help settle all this himself. If he thinks Serena could maybe beat 700 and thinks he can beat Serena, then he should challenge Turnsunov or another 700s ranked player to a match. If he can beat #700 then we'll have a better sense of the level of the tour at that ranking level (eg, comparable to the seniors tour) rather than speculating.
 
Apparently Mcenroe ranks himself around 1200.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-entertainment-news-updates-june-on-the-late-show-john-mcenroe-sets-1498664314-htmlstory.html
Court_1 <olympia0000@yahoo.com>: Jun 28 08:56AM -0700

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 11:24:25 AM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:
 
> Sacrilege. Nadal could find his invincible clay form on grass, an oil slick, the Badlands of S. Dakota, or the moon. For some reason though, he's only in the mood to find it on clay most of the time.
 
The truth is, it will probably end up being a Fedal final. You can't have your head in the sand. Federer and Nadal are the two most in form players and the younger players are unreliable. It's possible that Nadal will get blown off the court by a big hitter but for some reason I'm not feeling that will likely happen this year. If Kyrgios is healthy, maybe he can be a threat to Federer or Nadal but supposedly he's dealing with a hip injury so who knows with him.
Zverev isn't good enough yet. Thiem is useless on a grass surface. Raonic is touch and go these days with injuries. Cilic has a poor record vs all the Big Four players. Who's left? Can Querrey beat Nadal on a grass court? Maybe.
Patrick Kehoe <pkehoe@telus.net>: Jun 28 09:00AM -0700

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 8:06:17 AM UTC-7, PeteWasLucky wrote:
> > Well, Pete that's the key, if there is one, in the newest iteration of Feds-Rafa. Federer isn't afraid of Rafa now. Reminds me of 1989-1990 when Faldo said of the great Seve Ballesteros, "Well, we aren't afraid of Seve any more. So, that helps."
 
> I like you posts in this thread but Federer and Nadal are not the final yet and for sure aren't guaranteed to be there.
 
Just waxing on the hypothetical possibility established/running in this thread. I'm not predicting it, necessarily.
 
> Also grass isn't clay for Nadal where the ball kicks high with 10k rpm and Nadal can chase and get every ball back in court.
 
True. I would add: Federer's defence coverage shrinks as well, and so it gets back to establishing dominant positions, which Fed - under Lubo - has been largely all about. And though Fed is thee master of that (on grass especially), Rafa's game is largely about this as well these days; Rafa has transitioned from reactive power hitting to more sustained patterns of out-right hitting dominance, i.e. less predicated on covering and countering, if you will. And the more Rafa ups his percentages of offensive hitting the more Feds has to contend with. Sort of a floating direct-ratio, if you will.
 
> On grass it's all about shot making and if Federer managed to hit his backhand nicely on HC against Nadal then he will hit better on grass.
 
One would think so. Because on indoor hard, if bouncing lower, Fed has historically shown dominance. I agree. So, the Team Rafa response has seem to be
working on the Rafa second serve speed and playing less coverage-based tennis. They are still working out all the particulars, but, in essence they are trying to serve slightly harder (on both serves), move Rafa in more often on the return AND during points to mimic Federer early ball strike (sort of a method to counter Fed/Nole timing advantages) AND have Rafa run around almost everything in games 1-2 and games after game 6. No doubt Toni and Moya have Feds in mind.
 
> The slice he used against Zverev was the right thing to do because Zverev is power player and he can overpower Federer from the baseline the same way he did in the last two meetings plus Zverev isn't as good mover like Nadal.
 
Sure. Perfect tactic. But Federer's slice percentage always moves up on the grass. It's just HOW MUCH when he plays Rafa that's going to be the tactical concern for Lubo/Luthi/Federer to get right. Because Toni/Moya/Rafa are already having Rafa playing more 'into the court' than ever.
 

> But really they are not in the final and will have difficult time reaching there.
 
I totally agree.

> There are players that can take them out specially big hitters with big serve.
 
> Kyrgios defeated Nadal there and he can do it again, and he beat Federer in three TB and lost to him in three TB as well.
 
Yes. No question. Though with Kyrgios' ankle injury, Raonic wounded, and Rosol out to sea and Berdych-Tsonga Inc. in a quandary, Anderson in a terrible slump, Karlovic finally showing serving inconstancies, Isner lacking confidence of late, the MASSIVE HITTING usual suspects are down to a fit and fighting handful...

> Zverev can take out Nadal on grass and Federer as well if he isn't playing his best.
 
Yes. But he's lost some big matches of late. It will be interesting to see how resilient he can be moving onto a friendly surface for a major, when the big match does come.
 
> Djokovic is destined to find his best form soon and it may happen next week.
 
That's a very key issue, isn't it. Can Nole rebound, and soon? Looked OK against Pospisil this morning. But nothing like his best self, as yet.
 
P
*skriptis <skriptis@post.t-com.hr>: Jun 28 05:55PM +0200


>> But he isn't, and you described him pretty accurately. I can't
>> warm up for such a player with such psyche and mental fortitude.
 
> Federer can be read that way, but, in all fairness he's won 92 titles including 18 majors. Has he not shown intestinal fortitude, guts and grit as well as all of that champagne tennis, playing the way he is nearing 36? It hasn't all been grace and flow and elegance. Ci?
 
 
Not really. Most of the slams he won were WoO.
 
It's just that he's healthy, talented, consistent and overall good
(great) enough to find himself in those finals, often, or more
often than others. Fair enough, he wins silverware and it makes
greatness.
 
But like you said, throw an in-form Nadal, Djokovic or any greater
player at him playing their best stuff, remember Nalbandian,
Safin, and in most cases, he loses the match.
 
Least inspiring player, by far.
--
 
 
----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
grif <griffin_230@hotmail.com>: Jun 28 05:15PM +0100

On 28/06/2017 16:56, Court_1 wrote:
 
>> Sacrilege. Nadal could find his invincible clay form on grass, an oil slick, the Badlands of S. Dakota, or the moon. For some reason though, he's only in the mood to find it on clay most of the time.
 
> The truth is, it will probably end up being a Fedal final. You can't have your head in the sand. Federer and Nadal are the two most in form players and the younger players are unreliable. It's possible that Nadal will get blown off the court by a big hitter but for some reason I'm not feeling that will likely happen this year. If Kyrgios is healthy, maybe he can be a threat to Federer or Nadal but supposedly he's dealing with a hip injury so who knows with him.
> Zverev isn't good enough yet. Thiem is useless on a grass surface. Raonic is touch and go these days with injuries. Cilic has a poor record vs all the Big Four players. Who's left? Can Querrey beat Nadal on a grass court? Maybe.
 
Botnic has the advantage of uncanny valley in his favour. Even Fed was spooked by this last year.
Court_1 <olympia0000@yahoo.com>: Jun 28 09:18AM -0700

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 12:00:21 PM UTC-4, Patrick Kehoe wrote:
 
 

> True. I would add: Federer's defence coverage shrinks as well, and so it gets back to establishing dominant positions, which Fed - under Lubo - has been largely all about. And though Fed is thee master of that (on grass especially), Rafa's game is largely about this as well these days; Rafa has transitioned from reactive power hitting to more sustained patterns of out-right hitting dominance, i.e. less predicated on covering and countering, if you will.
 
Yes, Nadal is definitely more aggressive these days. He had to go that direction in order to keep competing/winning.
 
> > But really they are not in the final and will have difficult time reaching there.
 
> I totally agree.
 
I don't think so. I think Fedal is on.

> Yes. No question. Though with Kyrgios' ankle injury, Raonic wounded, and Rosol out to sea and Berdych-Tsonga Inc. in a quandary, Anderson in a terrible slump, Karlovic finally showing serving inconstancies, Isner lacking confidence of late, the MASSIVE HITTING usual suspects are down to a fit and fighting handful...
 
Yep. All of the big hitters are going through their own issues, i.e. Raonic, Anderson, etc. Zverev isn't good enough yet to beat this Nadal or Federer IMO. Kyrgios could beat either but he's nursing injuries as well so he's a question mark.
 

> > Djokovic is destined to find his best form soon and it may happen next week.
 
> That's a very key issue, isn't it. Can Nole rebound, and soon? Looked OK against Pospisil this morning. But nothing like his best self, as yet.
 
I doubt Djokovic will be ready to take on the world at Wimbledon.
Patrick Kehoe <pkehoe@telus.net>: Jun 28 09:32AM -0700

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 9:18:20 AM UTC-7, Court_1 wrote:
 
> > > Djokovic is destined to find his best form soon and it may happen next week.
 
> > That's a very key issue, isn't it. Can Nole rebound, and soon? Looked OK against Pospisil this morning. But nothing like his best self, as yet.
 
> I doubt Djokovic will be ready to take on the world at Wimbledon.
 
I share the belief that, well, it's JUNE, and Rafa and Feds have proven themselves as thee 2 best players in 2017. Period. No arguing with the results thus far. So, as it stands, Feds-Rafa final would be most likely.
 
P
PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com>: Jun 28 09:55AM -0700

> Yes. But he's lost some big matches of late. It will be interesting to see how resilient he can be moving onto a friendly surface for a major, when the big match does come.
 
I remember Zverev lost in five against nadal in the AO.
Gracchus <gracchado@gmail.com>: Jun 28 10:08AM -0700

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 8:56:08 AM UTC-7, Court_1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 11:24:25 AM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:
 
> > Sacrilege. Nadal could find his invincible clay form on grass, an oil slick, the Badlands of S. Dakota, or the moon. For some reason though, he's only in the mood to find it on clay most of the time.

> The truth is, it will probably end up being a Fedal final. You can't have your head in the sand.
 
Nor in the clay.
 
> Federer and Nadal are the two most in form players and the younger players are unreliable. It's possible that Nadal will get blown off the court by a big hitter but for some reason I'm not feeling that will likely happen this year. If Kyrgios is healthy, maybe he can be a threat to Federer or Nadal but supposedly he's dealing with a hip injury so who knows with him.
 
> Zverev isn't good enough yet. Thiem is useless on a grass surface. Raonic is touch and go these days with injuries. Cilic has a poor record vs all the Big Four players. Who's left? Can Querrey beat Nadal on a grass court? Maybe.
 
Aren't you going to feel kind of goofy if Federer and Nadal both get knocked out in the first week? It's way too premature to talk about them "probably" being in the final. How much grass preparation has Nadal done? And Federer has looked good in his sharper matches, but also been inconsistent. Until they've both played 2-3 matches (assuming they get that far) and we can gauge their form, IMO you're jumping the gun.
PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com>: Jun 28 10:48AM -0700

> Aren't you going to feel kind of goofy if Federer and Nadal both get knocked out in the first week? It's way too premature to talk about them "probably" being in the final. How much grass preparation has Nadal done? And Federer has looked good in his sharper matches, but also been inconsistent. Until they've both played 2-3 matches (assuming they get that far) and we can gauge their form, IMO you're jumping the gun.
 
Nadal lost 6-3 6-2 to Berdych in his first grass exo. There are many players that are very dangerous and can take out any of them specially Nadal in the first week.
Court_1 <olympia0000@yahoo.com>: Jun 28 08:37AM -0700

I watched "The Railway Man" (2013) starring Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman. It's based on a true story and I found it to be a very harrowing and moving drama. Understated acting performances especially by Kidman and the actor who played the younger Colin Firth character.
 
Has anybody seen this film? TT?
 
If not you should check it out. It's very good.
 
 
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2058107/
TT <ascii@dprk.kp>: Jun 28 08:21PM +0300

Court_1 kirjoitti 28.6.2017 klo 18:37:
 
> Has anybody seen this film? TT?
 
> If not you should check it out. It's very good.
 
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2058107/
 
Yeah I've seen it and also thought it was a very good and classy film;
about confronting the past, soul searching and forgiveness. Gave it a 7.
 
-
 
Btw, you said recently that you might watch some Japanese anime film and
mentioned PAPRIKA. Don't. Really disappointing film imo and should not
be recommended to people who are not anime fans. It's all about dream
world and the story makes very little sense outside of dream realm, has
no interesting or relatable characters - and I'd imagine would be loved
by people who blindly love all anime. It looks nice and is very screwy
so that might appeal to newcomers as well.
 
If you want to watch almost as odd anime but in a better way I recommend
TOTORO or SPIRITED AWAY... which probably would be the best introduction
to the crazy but endearing world of Miyazaki and would be my
recommendation. If you want a decent story with some drama then maybe
YOUR NAME, THE WIND RISES or GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES (I wasn't too fond
of the last one but many others love it).
 
-
 
Watched a few 'important' animated films...
 
Paprika (2006)
Screwy dream world story without much sense or well written characters.
Good looking in its own overstuffed over the top dream world way. 4/10
 
Wizards (1977)
...A cult fantasy animation by Ralph Bakshi... the story isn't
particularly great about wizard battles etc but the animation is really
special and interesting looking with all kinds of different styles.
There's also an interesting Nazi angle and there are even shown clips of
Hitler. Different. 7/10
 
Fire and Ice (1983)
A solid Bakshi fantasy animation on two warring tribes, sort of similar
to Conan or Red Sonya. So if you like those & animation then this is a
good one. Another appropriate comparison would be with 'One Million
Years B.C.' (Raquel Welch) while the story is set in same era. Not
really for children but more of an animation for slightly more adult
audience... with half naked attractive heroiness, of course. I liked it.
7/10
 
The Black Cauldron (1985)
Nice underrated animation about peasants, princesses and magic set in
medieval times. I thought the dog-like character 'Gurgi' reminded a lot
about Gollum from LOTR films, and I'd say Jackson outright copied it.
7/10
 
The Secret of NIMH (1982)
...BEAUTIFUL looking little harmless story about field mice, perfect for
children while adults should be able to appreciate it equally much. From
Don Bluth's pencil who also made one of my favourite 80s games; animated
laserdisc arcade game Dragon's Lair (1983). NIMH got made after Bluth
separated from Disney for disagreement on direction the Disney
animations had taken, away from traditional Disney style. Someone
compared the animation to Disney's Bambi... and indeed this could be the
nicest looking animation post war. Nowadays people rave about Ghibli and
Pixar products but none of it comes even close to organic look and charm
of this animation. 8/10
Gracchus <gracchado@gmail.com>: Jun 28 10:25AM -0700

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 10:21:16 AM UTC-7, TT wrote:
 
If you want a decent story with some drama then maybe
> YOUR NAME, THE WIND RISES or GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES (I wasn't too fond
> of the last one but many others love it).
 
It's a great title anyway.
 
> medieval times. I thought the dog-like character 'Gurgi' reminded a lot
> about Gollum from LOTR films, and I'd say Jackson outright copied it.
> 7/10
 
I may watch this. I think it's derived from the series of books that included "The Book of Three." I read these in my early teens and they were pretty good.
calimero377@gmx.de: Jun 28 09:25AM -0700

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 4:32:43 PM UTC+2, Pelle Svanslos wrote:
 
> The Saudis also understood the significance of "shiny objects". Boy, did
> the funders of ISIS get what they wanted and more. The Europeans, not as
> well. Lol.
 
 
Quoting the NYT about the orange clown is not better than quoting Breitbart about the Barack amateur.
Idiots all four. Poor America ...
 
 
Max
The Iceberg <iceberg.rules@gmail.com>: Jun 28 10:24AM -0700

On Wednesday, 28 June 2017 15:32:43 UTC+1, Pelle Svanslos wrote:
 
> The Saudis also understood the significance of "shiny objects". Boy, did
> the funders of ISIS get what they wanted and more. The Europeans, not as
> well. Lol.
 
LOL Pelle you must be desperate, stealing my Obama was China's poodle line.
calimero377@gmx.de: Jun 28 09:41AM -0700

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 3:04:09 AM UTC+2, bob wrote:
 
> >"Thanks, bob".
 
> what do you mean by "coverage?"
 
> bob
 
 
Releasing all minor drug offenders from prison might cause huge housing losses.
 
 
Max
calimero377@gmx.de: Jun 28 09:47AM -0700

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 3:06:57 AM UTC+2, bob wrote:
> >Because they aren't appeasers like Obama.
> >Because they are climate change sceptics.
 
> learn how to spell skeptics dummkopf. :-) did i spell it right?
 
No.
It's "Dummkopf".
 
> >Because they don't promote genderism.
> >I liked a lot about the Dems from 1933 until about 2000.
 
> like what?
 
The wars.
Abandoning segregation.
The New Deal.
JFK during the Cuban missile crisis.
Inventing neoconservatism.
 
 
> > But in the last years they took a sharp left turn. Which enabled the orange clown to win the presidency.
 
> bob
 
 
Max
The Iceberg <iceberg.rules@gmail.com>: Jun 28 10:06AM -0700

> The New Deal.
> JFK during the Cuban missile crisis.
> Inventing neoconservatism.
 
for once, can't argue with what you've written! :)
The Iceberg <iceberg.rules@gmail.com>: Jun 28 10:07AM -0700

On Sunday, 25 June 2017 18:35:30 UTC+1, Pelle Svanslos wrote:
> https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/healthcare/news/2017/06/22/434917/coverage-losses-senate-health-care-bill-result-18100-27700-additional-deaths-2026/
 
> "Thanks, bob".
 
Could, might, perhaps, maybe - classic lib words!
Gracchus <gracchado@gmail.com>: Jun 28 10:21AM -0700

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 10:07:37 AM UTC-7, The Iceberg wrote:
> > https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/healthcare/news/2017/06/22/434917/coverage-losses-senate-health-care-bill-result-18100-27700-additional-deaths-2026/
 
> > "Thanks, bob".
 
> Could, might, perhaps, maybe - classic lib words!
 
There's a word for working class people who buy into "conservative" policies that end up royally screwing them over: retards.
 
Oh, but then you're not even American anyway. I wonder how you'd feel if the UK suddenly yanked away NHS for you and your family. Would that be really cool too?
TT <ascii@dprk.kp>: Jun 28 05:07PM +0300

Brian W Lawrence kirjoitti 28.6.2017 klo 14:37:
 
> <http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2017/06/serena-williams-cover-story>
 
Oh noes, Serena does preggers pics...
(Not a huge surprise)
calimero377@gmx.de: Jun 28 09:29AM -0700

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 1:37:39 PM UTC+2, Brian W Lawrence wrote:
> <http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2017/06/serena-williams-cover-story>
 
> Photos by Annie Liebowitz.
 
That's what I like about Steffi. She always had and has class.
 
 
Max
The Iceberg <iceberg.rules@gmail.com>: Jun 28 10:04AM -0700

On Wednesday, 28 June 2017 12:37:39 UTC+1, Brian W Lawrence wrote:
> <http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2017/06/serena-williams-cover-story>
 
> Photos by Annie Liebowitz.
 
the main pic was in the Evening Standard last night!
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to rec.sport.tennis+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment