Digest for rec.sport.football.college@googlegroups.com - 25 updates in 5 topics

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jun 27 01:08PM

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 18:47:34 -0700 (PDT), Some dued
 
>My neighborhood has sidewalks on about one of every 8 streets, making them useless. If there had been an authority requiring them, we'd have sidewalks as it is an eighth of my neighbors wasted their money and I walk in the street.
 
I had sidewalks from 1957-1965. Since then no sidewalks. So dogs don't
get to choose which side of they sidewalk they crap and trash like you
doen't walk as close to the house.
 
I never had to walk in the street - I worked and could afford to walk
at the Healthpark.
 
Hugh
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jun 27 01:18PM


>When have VA medical centers or air traffic control not been nationalized? =
>Maybe pre WW2 for air traffic control and the early 1800s for the VA.
 
ATCs were unnecessary before 1903.
 
The VA did not become so prominent until sometime after WWII or maybe
even Nam when vets got pretty vocal. The govt. took special notice
then and created a mess that still is not straightened out.
 
And, if you earn more than $30,000 per year you have not been able to
enrol in the VA for some years now unless you have a military
disability - our oldest son does.
 
>kind of hard to say it wasn't improved when there was virtually nothing bef=
>ore the federal government took on those roles. Whether it is being done we=
>ll is another question.
 
If it isn't done well it is not improved.
 
Government regulates natural gas transmission companies - they are not
nationalized. They do unbelievably well (or did in my working career)
for those reasons. The government is in charge of SNAFU.
 
Hugh
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jun 27 01:26PM


>You should go to Somalia. They don't have anything like
>those things there, total non-government free market.
>You're bound to think it's a paradise.
 
Before 1960 all four of the above were available here but no rioting,
no burning cities, comparatively few freeloaders.
 
Lawlessness is a liberal progressive thingy.
 
Somalia - sounds like they have the same problems as B;ham and Greene
Co. in AL - and for the same reasons.
 
Liberals should go to Somalia - maybe they can correct the problems
there. At least no worse than they have done here.
 
Hugh
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com>: Jun 27 06:33AM -0700

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 10:56:08 PM UTC-4, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:
> > there was virtually nothing before the federal government took on
> > those roles. Whether it is being done well is another question.
 
> The rest of the free world has much better ATC. It is privatized.
 
Who's been telling you that? People who actually use ATC? Privatized ATC is an expensive disaster.
 
There's a reason people from all over the world come to the US for their flight training.
xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com>: Jun 27 06:38AM -0700

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 9:33:53 PM UTC-4, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:
> > of course, the interstate road system. What else?
 
> Except we are starting to privatize those too, after Indiana and
> Pennsylvania's experience has shown that works better.
 
Define "works better"
 
Right around the corner from you, Indiana is in a privatization morass that Pence started and then darted out of town before the chickens came home to roost.
 
http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/06/18/mike-pence-donald-trump-public-private-partnerships-mitch-daniels-interstate-69-isolux-bloomington/388756001/
 
In NC our conservative, privatization-loving GOP legislature is considering paying hundreds of millions to get out of a priviatized interstate contract near Charlotte
 
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article81344977.html
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jun 27 01:40PM

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 18:04:35 -0700 (PDT), dotslashderek@gmail.com
wrote:
 
>Love to see you roll out your proof on education.
 
I can give an eyewitness acount.
 
Our grandaughter's 4 th grade teacher teaches them to do math by
counting on fingers. Our great grandaughter was in 3rd grade south of
Chicago and does math in her head. In the 30s and 40s we learned NOT
to use our fingers even in the deep South.
 
Our 4th grandson had a GPA of 4.3 in advanced placement classes and
was not even the top student in any subject at graduation. But he went
to a somewhat exclusive private religious school.
 
I quit teaching because I wanted to teach at a level that would
accomodate the more intelligent people. But it was necessary to teach
at a more mediocre level so the idiots could learn.
 
Schools need to train at both the academic and blue collar level even
if that requires 2 schools. Schools need advanced classes for
intelligent people and mediocre classes for mediocre people.
 
Capitalism can accomplish that - government is an absolute failure
because it always seeks the lowest common denominator.
 
Hugh
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jun 27 01:41PM

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 18:14:25 -0700 (PDT), Some dued
 
>Not to mention that "improved" is so subjective as to be meaningless. You can always claim victory with that criteria.
 
Not if you have to actually compete. Which is why liberals avoid
competition exceept for the mouth.
 
Hugh
 
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
"Con Reeder, unhyphenated American" <constance@duxmail.com>: Jun 27 08:45AM -0500


>> The rest of the free world has much better ATC. It is privatized.
 
> Who's been telling you that? People who actually use ATC? Privatized
> ATC is an expensive disaster.
 
The International Civil Aviation Organisation of the UN.
 
Expensive? It is paid for by the airlines, and requires zero taxpayer
dollars. Canada privatized 20 years ago, and costs have improved
dramatically. Starting from a cost basis higher than the US, Canada's
costs have been reduced by 30%. Cost per ATC-hour in Canada is $340,
in the U.S. is $450. Most US airlines *and* the unions are for the US
privatizing.
 
> There's a reason people from all over the world come to the US for
> their flight training.
 
Pilot != Air traffic controller. And the training is not based on
the ATC infrastructure.
 
--
I used to think the whole world stank. Then I found out I had poop
on my mustache. -- Anonymous
xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com>: Jun 27 07:02AM -0700

On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 9:45:37 AM UTC-4, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:
> costs have been reduced by 30%. Cost per ATC-hour in Canada is $340,
> in the U.S. is $450. Most US airlines *and* the unions are for the US
> privatizing.
 
The airlines favor it because they think they would control a privatized ATC system.
 
The unions do not favor privatization. At least not as wingnuts define it.
 
What the unions favor is a public non-profit, along the lines of the post office. And only on the condition that their contracts are untouched. I'm sure you're on board with that since their support seems to confer legitimacy to you.
 
And finally, I just have to laugh at you citing Canada as an example. Their experience legitimizes what you want (privatized ATC ) but confers no legitimacy to what you don't want (single payer health care).
 
> > their flight training.
 
> Pilot != Air traffic controller. And the training is not based on
> the ATC infrastructure.
 
You really don't know what you're talking about if you think that last sentence is true. You don't think people use ATC when they train? Hint, when training people use ATC a lot, and often a lot more than people who are passing through or traveling. They come here to train because our ATC is superior in quality and in availability.
 
For example: When I was in the UK on a business trip I rented a plane and an instructor and took a scenic trip. The instructor explained that we had to stay below 1500 feet the whole flight, in order to avoid paying ATC fees. If we had an emergency we could divert to an air carrier airport but the fee for doing is would be over $1K. Imagine flight training in that environment. Real safe there.
"the_andrew_smith@yahoo.com" <agavinsmith@gmail.com>: Jun 27 07:08AM -0700

Somalia?
 
What has their govt done?
"the_andrew_smith@yahoo.com" <agavinsmith@gmail.com>: Jun 27 07:09AM -0700

No answer?
"the_andrew_smith@yahoo.com" <agavinsmith@gmail.com>: Jun 27 07:10AM -0700

I'm literally sitting by one right now.
"the_andrew_smith@yahoo.com" <agavinsmith@gmail.com>: Jun 27 07:12AM -0700

If anyone really cared about sidewalks, you'd get together and build them.
 
That's what good government does - it lets the people do what they want, as long as it doesn't infringe the rights of others.
 
Bad government, see: random, useless sidewalks, forces people to donthings that aren't for the common good.
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jun 27 12:56PM

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 12:41:24 -0700 (PDT), Eric Ramon
 
>assuming anything he says is true, mia is an example of one of the three bi=
>ggest problems. His talk of his income (and he's a fairly small fry in the =
>system) shows that medical people simply make too much money.
 
So exactly how much is your miserable life worth? I can't place a
value on doctors keeping me alive.
 
I went to the ER Saturday AM with an acute (I thought it was a ugly)
respiratory infection and was home less than 2 hours later on the way
to being cured. One EKG, two chest xrays, one intravenous antibiotic
and 6 pills later I'm feeling good again. The doctor and staff could
not have been nicer.
 
Of course I paid - 37 years work and 33 years in the military earns
that ability for anyone who is competent and willing.
 
> if you look at the itemized costs, they got charged $20,000+ for a couple =
>of weeks "room and board". Why did the hospital charge that much? Because t=
>hey could.
 
They charge that much because freeloaders and medicaid costs have to
be paid for, because they have to donate hundreds of thousands of
dollars to charties and non-profits and because they have to pay taxes
to support other liberal-sponsored freeloaders in the community.
 
>And this gets paid, at least for now in this instance, by insurance money. =
>That's one of the other big problems.
 
Liberals are the ONLY problem.
 
Hugh
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
JGibson <james.m.gibson@gmail.com>: Jun 27 06:46AM -0700

On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 8:39:35 AM UTC-4, J. Hugh Sullivan wrote:
> think the government has to take care of everything.
 
> I doubt that any ER in this country would turn him away because he
> can't pay.
 
Yes, but where do you think the money for the ER comes from after they don't pay?
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jun 27 01:57PM

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 19:55:50 -0700, Michael Press <rubrum@pacbell.net>
wrote:
 
 
>ACA will collapse under its own weight. No need to repeal.
 
>--
>Michael Press
 
I essentially agree. But will it drive us into bankruptcy in the
meantime.
 
Why not just eliminate the penalty for not having insurance and
limiting and gradually reducing the subsidy?
 
I think the only success will be gained by abolishing the UnACA
gradually (which mostly agrees with you).
 
Hugh
 
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
"the_andrew_smith@yahoo.com" <agavinsmith@gmail.com>: Jun 27 07:01AM -0700

1) the republicans had nothing to do with the ACA
 
2) now you're deciding what people should be paid? The irony of course is that you've decided healthcare is the most important thing ever, yet there is no value in providing it.
"the_andrew_smith@yahoo.com" <agavinsmith@gmail.com>: Jun 27 07:03AM -0700

The money for the ER comes from the same place it always came.
 
Yet, amazingly, my premiums only skyrocketed AFTER Obamacare.
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jun 27 02:05PM


>ACA will collapse, at least in part because:
 
>1) The Republicans want it to collapse and are doing nothing to prevent or delay it
>2) All over our health care system, we are paying people like Mia $300,000 per year when they don't deserve half that much.
 
If there was an Oscar for sutpidity you would be nominated along with
a few other liberals.
 
The problem is that incompetents like you think they know how much
competents should be paid.
 
Put your donkey beside a well and you still would not know your ass
from a hole in the ground.
 
Hugh
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
Some dued <theodoreward@gmail.com>: Jun 27 07:09AM -0700

Talk about stupid: you suggested someone with a rare ongoing illness go to the ER for $200000 treatments.
xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com>: Jun 27 06:47AM -0700

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 6:53:42 PM UTC-4, Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger wrote:
> On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 3:30:52 PM UTC-5, the_andr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> > http://ijr.com/opinion/2017/06/265683-ran-wisconsins-successful-high-risk-pool-obamacare-heres-actually-worked/
 
> If it ain't broke, fix it until it's broke.
 
I actually would like to have read that article but the ad animations were so aggressive and made the text jump around so much I couldn't. On Chrome anyway.
"the_andrew_smith@yahoo.com" <agavinsmith@gmail.com>: Jun 27 07:05AM -0700

I probably read it on the Wozniak.
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jun 27 01:50PM


>to SCOTUS saying you don't have a right to carry a
>firearm outside your house?
 
Post a cite with complete detail. I doubt your abily to read and
comprehend intelligently.
 
Hugh
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jun 27 01:43PM

Eagle@bellsouth.net (J. Hugh Sullivan): Jun 27 01:48PM

>> commentators said it at the time.
 
>Meanwhile, in reality-land, SCOTUS only allowed part of
>the travel ban to go into effect.
 
And left the rest for later argument.
 
And they voted 7-2 for the religious case.
 
And chose the heard the baker not ding cakes for queers.
 
I disagree with the baker. I would have made a cake for them with the
brinde and groom both being shaped like dicks. They would have been
pleased.
 
Hugh
 
 
---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to rec.sport.football.college+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment