Digest for rec.sport.football.college@googlegroups.com - 8 updates in 5 topics

Thursday, May 4, 2017

"Con Reeder, unhyphenated American" <constance@duxmail.com>: May 04 10:22PM -0500

>> already live there.
 
> for what it's worth, we moved back to Oregon because of the high
> cost of living in California...San Francisco, specifically.
 
I decided not to move to SF for the same reason. You have many, many
middle class people deciding to leave California. It is growing at the
high end of the income scale, and at the low end. Highest rate of
poverty in the country, and the most rich people.
 
--
People who would hamper free speech always assume that they're designing
a world in which only their enemies will have to shut up.
--Nicholas Christakis
"The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior" <iamtj4life@gmail.com>: May 04 08:01PM -0700

Got to thinking about what you were saying re upcoming innovation in health care via AI, etc
 
And that lead to private v public financing and cost saving innovation (Much less new care enhancing innovation like drugs) - and yes, this is incomplete - I'm tired and it's been a long day - consider this beers at the bar talk.
 
Thoughtquery - would we have this sort of innovation - driving primarily thru profit seeking via disruption - if we had primarily public financing of health care costs?
 
IOW - if we had single payer, would there be pressure/incentive to come up with all these potentially new ideas you're hinting at?
 
If there was no profit to be made from providing a "different sort of insurance" (Yo, Silicon Valley - opportunity) or vastly cheaper high end care, would there be research into ways to make this happen?
 
Would a single payer be more likely to fund this sort of innovation - or a shitload of angry and frustrated consumers?
 
Put it this way - you know the GLEE people have when they cut their cable cord? Can you imagine the glee from cutting the cord to our current health care/insurance cluster fuck?
 
Thoughts?
michael anderson <mianderson79@gmail.com>: May 04 07:22PM -0700

Well I really like the car I'm going to buy in that parking lot with all the nice cars, and most people seem to like our current system(would be better without obamacare though)....so let's get back to market principles and go from there.
Some dued <theodoreward@gmail.com>: May 04 07:36PM -0700

I hate our system, it requires WAY too much interaction between me and insurance companies.
dotslashderek@gmail.com: May 04 07:46PM -0700

On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 7:52:56 PM UTC-5, The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior wrote:
 
> > No, though. Not limited by their *willingness* to pay for it. In most cases, limited by their *means*.
 
> That was poorly written by me - in general, yes to your point - yes, willingness.
 
> And I'm shocked you haven't pointed out I want the rich to pay moar! What kind of capitalist swine am I?
 
Dude, the first rule of dark-sidin' is you never point out the dark-sidin'.
 
 
> > I'm seriously searching for what the argument here is, but I keep coming back to "we can't get to 100% so we should stick with zero".
 
> Very fair point. In a sense we were "there" before all this started - but now it seems we've moved "the line" dramatically in the far broader coverage direction.
 
> Is this good or bad? Dunno. Health care's a tricky issue - w/o it, we die. OTOH, we're gonna die anyway. So much care and so much spending seems....wasted either by overconsumption, overcosting (!) and/or CYA.
 
Yeah. A lot of that is driven by culture, I guess. People here have pretty high expectations. And I'm gonna assume that even though there might be a reasonable expectation of things going sideways for any surgery (for instance), I'm also gonna assume that when it does go sideways, here, it almost always gets litigated. How could *I* fall outside the well-documented 98% success rate!
 
Where in some cultures, that just isn't a reasonable reaction.
 
> The lack of pricing transparency really really really bugs me.
 
100%.
 
Cheers.
Ken Olson <kolson@freedomnet.org>: May 04 10:22PM -0400

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-spy-in-the-next-pod-1493935419
 
Been watching this. Entertaining and informative.
Some dued <theodoreward@gmail.com>: May 04 06:35PM -0700

Does it do 185?
Ken Olson <kolson@freedomnet.org>: May 04 09:41PM -0400

On 5/4/2017 9:35 PM, Some dued wrote:
> Does it do 185?
 
Did it find a garage?
You received this digest because you're subscribed to updates for this group. You can change your settings on the group membership page.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it send an email to rec.sport.football.college+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment